Objectivism Online Forum

Apple's iPad

Rate this topic

Not sure how many of forum members have been following the iPad saga since it broke in late January (or how many that even care :) ), but they go on pre-order this morning (3/12) at 0830 EST. I plan on ordering one of the 3G models myself.

Like some Apple products in the past, there are a fair share of naysayers claiming it will not sell well (as it is not an essential device that clearly has a single focused purpose). Others welcome it as a "convergence device" that will do many of their favorite things (and do them well). I will be interested in seeing who has pegged this one and who is off the mark.

Edited by RationalBiker

Not sure how many of forum members have been following the iPad saga since it broke in late January (or how many that even care :) ), but they go on pre-order this morning (3/12) at 0830 EST. I plan on ordering one of the 3G models myself.

Like some Apple products in the past, there are a fair share of naysayers claiming it will not sell well (as it is not an essential device that clearly has a single focused purpose). Others welcome it as a "convergence device" that will do many of their favorite things (and do them well). I will be interested in seeing who has pegged this one and who is off the mark.

I was sold on it when I saw the little video promotion on it. No peripherals!! It's like a scaled up ipod touch. It looks as simple and elegant as any piece of engineering I've ever seen and it will compete across a wide spectrum of products, including with Kindle.

1. I wanted on before they'd even been announced or speculated over. Basically the first time I sat down with my iPhone I thought, 'I'd also like a bigger one of these.'

2. Don't think I've ever been so keen to get my hands on a device based on its usefulness - this thing's going to make absorbing information and getting work done on the move (or on the sofa) so much easier. In fact, soon as I get it loaded up with one of the Wikipedia site dump applications (ie. for offline reading), I'll consider its expense recouped.

Side note: don't think I'll bother with the 3G one cause it will be just another bill plus i already have access to o2 wifi 'hotspots' around the country through my iPhone account, but more crucially, someone pointed out I could always just buy one of those 'Mi-Fi' devices instead and get 3G access that way.

Also, I'm sure the iPad will do much better than people are generally anticipating, there's so much potential there

In my opinion, most of the folks panning it are panning it for reasons that don't make so much difference to a lot of people. Obviously one of the main criticisms is that it's "just a large Touch". I really think that underestimates the value of the size. Clearly developers could see this when just after the iPad was announced the demand for the SDK increased like threefold. Increased processing power only bolsters what you can do with increased screeen real estate.

And yes, I agree, elegant design. I think many "techheads" cannot look down enough to understand the more average user and what they want out of a device. I don't say this to demean either the techheads or the average joe, but it it what it is. Some folks don't care how it works, some folks don't care if it doesn't have all the options a regular computer has, the simply want something that works, does it well and fast, and does it easily. Apple clearly identified those uses for a computer that most people do most of the time.

Having followed the Kindle forum on Amazon for some time, I know there are more than a few folks over there who will tell you there is NO WAY they would ever use an iPad as their primary reader and/or that it is not a good ereader at all. Some will probably cling to that, and there are certain advantages the Kindle has over the iPad, however, they haven't even held the thing in their hands yet. I'm excited to see what the ebook evolves into on the iPad. Sure, this stuff can already be done on a desktop, a laptop, some celphones perhaps, but the iPad brings a much richer format to the table for doing these things.

Games? ZOMG!! (sorry) That's a wide open developers/gamers paradise.

I think it will do well, but I guess time will tell.

I already pre-ordered the 64gb 3g version (and a few accessories). I'm excited!

I'll wait till later generations when they add in basic functionality that they've chosen to leave out of this version, for whatever reason...

What additional basic functionality would you like to see?

What additional basic functionality would you like to see?

The ability to multi-task, and have more than one Exchange inbox would be quite useful for my work. Flash would be nice, as well.

I just don't see much market for this, given the existence of more powerful, cheaper, more open, more customizable, multi-task capable, flash-capable netbooks.

Maybe there's a market for it, we'll see.

Edited by brian0918

When I saw the comcercials I initially thought they must have been smoking crack, with all the talk about how it feels and how fun it is because it's a touch screen. But then, a really advanced LED-backlit touchscreen and what looks to be really intuitive user interface. That looks really sweet. The price tag also looks very competitive.

I'd be all over it if it wasn't for more immediate techological needs. To me that would be a nice toy I could play with while I travel to work, and $499 just for that...

It will be interesting to see how that technology evolves though. Something i'd personally like to see is an iPad that can be used as a highly sensitive drawing tablet.

Lenovo recently demo'd the IdeaPad U1 Hybrid, which combines a tablet and a keyboard. "It's a netbook with a removable screen that turns it into a tablet (switching OS from Windows 7 to a tablet OS within 3 seconds)."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/lenovo-...nd-impressions/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/lenovo-...tablet-by-nigh/

At $1k, though, I think I'll stick with my $220 Acer Aspire One. :)

Edited by brian0918

The ability to multi-task,...

iPhone OS 4.0 is reportedly going to support multitasking. Given that the iPad runs the iPhone OS, I suspect it is highly likely we will see that in a short period of time.

Flash would be nice, as well.

Without quoting a multitude of articles about why Jobs prefers HTML5 over Flash, I don't think this is going to happen. Additionally, one of the better explanations relating to hardware I've read explains why "Touch Screen" computers do not play well with Flash. Here's is a Flash developers explanation. Flash is far from a dealbreaker for me. I say HP (promoting the Slate) talking about how 75% of the videos out there run from flash, but I had to ask myself, "how many of that 75% are on Youtube", which the iPhone OS can play.

I just don't see much market for this, given the existence of more powerful, cheaper, more open, more customizable, multi-task capable, flash-capable netbooks.

I have a netbook. In my opinion, when you compare what the iPad does to how a netbook does the same things, by all appearances it's no real comparison. The iPad appears to be a much more intuitive, faster, stylish, etc. etc., in a form factor that is very appealing. I know some people won't pay for that, but I suspect quite a few others will. I think what you might consider for a moment is not necessarily what a netbook CAN do, but what to a huge number of people ACTUALLY do on their computers and how well and intuitive the netbook does those things. There were mp3 players out there before the iPod came along, cheaper ones I suspect, but yet the iPod took the lion's share of the market after it came out. There were apps before the App Store came along, yet apps really came into their popularity after Apple started the App Store. The existence of technology that can do the same thing does not always preclude the next device coming along and doing it in a manner that makes it more enjoyable.

I'm on the side betting there will be. This is just day one, and we know that means next to nothing in the long term. However, one estimate has Apple selling 50,000 preorders in the first two hours. A far less credible estimation was 20,000 an hour since they start this morning. I've read a lot of articles from both camps, the "naysayers" and the "we think it's gonna rock" crowd. If I understand it correctly, Apple stock has risen to an all time high (even today) since the announcement of the iPad back on Jan. 27. I know none of this proves anything, but I take them each as early positive indicators. Certainly this can simply be an early iPad "gold rush".

The next big tell tale signs won't happen until April 3 when people actually start getting them in their hands.

Edited by RationalBiker

I will add that the one competing product that has sparked my interest is the MS Courier. There is not a lot of information is out there yet and the production (if it happens) is a long way off yet. By what I've seen of it, I'm not exactly sure it is aiming for the same crowd though.

It will be interesting to see how that technology evolves though. Something i'd personally like to see is an iPad that can be used as a highly sensitive drawing tablet.

Yes, I can see that as a potential feature in the future. Until then, Brushes has stated they will be developing an app specifically for the iPad. There are some pretty amazing works out there from that app that were done on the iPhone.

Many people have noted the absence of a forward facing camera. This device does seem ideal for video chatting and such, though I suspect holding on to the alleged 10 hour battery life would be much more difficult with that functionality.

I agree with something another person said with whom I was discussing the iPad; Apple had to start somewhere, and while incomplete, this is not a bad start. It only stands to reason that they would leave room to improve. Still, a 9.7 in. screen, 1.5 lbs, and a 10 hour battery for all the things this puppy can do? Okay, they say 3G will drain it quicker obviously, but still I think that's pretty freakin' amazing.

Edited by RationalBiker

I can definitely see myself using the MS Courier on a construction jobsite, linked with a Blackberry or other smartphone. Not so much the iPad. But I have a couple years to wait still to even think about buying one, so by that time the tech will be along pretty well for both.

I can definitely see myself using the MS Courier on a construction jobsite

My preliminary assessment is that the iPad will be a fun device that has some capability of being a productive tool as well. The MS Courier on the other hand looks like a productivity tool that may be capable of some fun stuff too.

I'll wait till later generations when they add in basic functionality that they've chosen to leave out of this version, for whatever reason...

The reason is price point & production cost. We can have at it now, or wait until the camera goes in.

...I just don't see much market for this, given the existence of more powerful, cheaper, more open, more customizable, multi-task capable, flash-capable netbooks.

I think the market for this is huge.

In fact, I don't think there is anyone else in the market they're filling with this. It is definitely not a device to REPLACE a laptop or a netbook, or a phone. It really is just a digital note pad.

If it really is (as they say in their marketing), the "best way" to check you email... surf the web, etc... then people will pick them up like crazy.

Plus, (and possibly the clincher) just watch how many of the non-tech types jump on this... I can actually picture my grandfather enjoying using one of these... and he won't even touch a computer.

Edited by freestyle

I thought its touch surface wasn't accurate enough to be used for scribbling notes. Someone else mentioned above the inability to draw accurately on it.

Yes, but a digital notepad can include typing those notes. :)

I think most people who buy Apple products like this are simply ignorant of what has been on the market for a long time. There are touch screen tablet PC's with cheaper price tags, that have full keyboards and all the functionality of a notebook that have existed for a long time. Check out Asus EEE PC line, they have a couple touch screens. The great thing is that you don't need to buy special "Apps" since you can run regular computer software on them.

Yes, I can see that as a potential feature in the future. Until then, Brushes has stated they will be developing an app specifically for the iPad. There are some pretty amazing works out there from that app that were done on the iPhone.

Sweet, I didn't know there were iPhone apps like that. I think i'm going to get a new phone soon, and the iPhone is starting to look very interesting.

I agree with something another person said with whom I was discussing the iPad; Apple had to start somewhere, and while incomplete, this is not a bad start. It only stands to reason that they would leave room to improve. Still, a 9.7 in. screen, 1.5 lbs, and a 10 hour battery for all the things this puppy can do? Okay, they say 3G will drain it quicker obviously, but still I think that's pretty freakin' amazing.

Yeah, it's always interesting to see how new concepts will develop in the near future. Even if this turns out to be an initial failure, which I doubt it will, they can always expand and improve upon it to better meet the consumers needs and introduce new innovations.

I thought its touch surface wasn't accurate enough to be used for scribbling notes. Someone else mentioned above the inability to draw accurately on it.

If you're reffering to my post then I think you you misunderstood me a little bit. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't accurate enough to scribble notes on. I was only looking at this from my own very niched needs.

Just recently I glanced a little at the tablet-PC market when I learned some newer devices had the ability to draw and sketch on them. It's something that could be very usefull for me. However, these machines are pretty expensive, the display quality doesn't seem very exciting and the drawing abilities are very rudimentary. What I would love to see is a device that has the functionality of a PC, like the iPad does, a good display and at the same time the ability to use it as a high quality drawing tablet. Something like combining a tablet-PC with a Wacom Cintiq, only more affordable.

I think most people who buy Apple products like this are simply ignorant of what has been on the market for a long time.

I would agree that this is probably true in some cases. But I would hesitate to say that ignorance is predominately the case. There are people who buy Kias, there are people who buy Hondas, and there are people who buy Lexus', etc. etc. etc. People don't always seek out the cheapest solution for something that basically does the same thing. People pay for style, they pay for features, they pay for safety, they pay for speed, etc. etc. There are a variety of reasons why people pick products, sometimes it's the price, sometimes it's the functionality, and sometimes it's just how something does what it does.

I have an Asus EEE 904A netbook. For me, it doesn't matter how many things I can do with it, it matters what I actually do with it. It's "okay", but when you compare how it does to how the iPad does the same things, for me it is no contest. I will pay the premium for an iPad because of HOW it does what it does, not because it provides the cheapest solution to get the same things done. Certainly one's personal finances impact those choices. In my case, I'm not rich, but I'm comfortably well off and I can afford to buy the iPad and relegate the netbook to whatever it's fate will be.

Of course, Apple's marketing and advertising ability doesn't hurt either. :)

I think most people who buy Apple products like this are simply ignorant of what has been on the market for a long time. There are touch screen tablet PC's with cheaper price tags, that have full keyboards and all the functionality of a notebook that have existed for a long time. Check out Asus EEE PC line, they have a couple touch screens. The great thing is that you don't need to buy special "Apps" since you can run regular computer software on them.

Yes, but that's what Apple does. It doesn't invent new categories but rather takes existing ideas and makes them better. For example they didn't invent the MP3 player, Cellphone and music player but expanded their roles, improved the quality and made them easier to use and include them in their architecture of other devices.

As for the Asus EEE its a completely different animal. Have fun walking around with a 10'' clam shell in you arms. Not to mention its flimsy plastic pieces and lack of flash memory. It only has a 1024 x 600 LED screen resolution vs 1024x768 IPS on the iPad. The Asus comes with Windows XP which means you can now crash your laptop on the go. Its what you would expect in a netbook, compromises in all corners. This is the type of thing you get from design by committee.

• 7 months later...

I didn't see the utility for tablet devices until I started using a smart-phone. Now, because I can do most things on my phone, I rarely take my laptop anywhere with me unless I'll need to be typing for a long time. Tablets just expand that ability, especially for reading things of length and watching video. I'll be jumping on the first HP webOS tablet released, and, once that happens, my laptop will never be used as a portable device again.