Objectivism Online Forum

Spartacus

Rate this topic

Blood and Sand.

You can watch this live streaming on Netflix Starz.

It is some of the trashiest, most wonderful television entertainment ever made!

Pretty much sex and violence (and because produced in New Zealand full frontal nudity) set in the gladiator arena with some small attempt to pretend there's a plot.

I know I shouldn't like this as much as I do but there is just something hypnotic about it.

Eye candy, lots of fun.. filmed in the "graphic novel" style of Sin City and 300. While word is getting out its still pretty obscure so I thought I'd share this for those who enjoy this kind of thing.

Blood and Sand.

You can watch this live streaming on Netflix Starz.

It is some of the trashiest, most wonderful television entertainment ever made!

Pretty much sex and violence (and because produced in New Zealand full frontal nudity) set in the gladiator arena with some small attempt to pretend there's a plot.

I know I shouldn't like this as much as I do but there is just something hypnotic about it.

Eye candy, lots of fun.. filmed in the "graphic novel" style of Sin City and 300. While word is getting out its still pretty obscure so I thought I'd share this for those who enjoy this kind of thing.

Spartacus is made by the people behind Xena, Hercules and Legend of the Seeker. I think it would have been great if they'd created Legend of the Seeker as an adult series like this, with more hardcore sex and violence. It would have stayed more true to the books, that way.

I don't think there's much to like about Spartacus from an Objectivist standpoint. Almost all the characters are thoroughly corrupt, and the plots are very shallow. The main character was an atheist, but dedicated himself to the gods in a recent episode. Most of the people who watch this show, probably do so because of the slave girl scenes. I like the character "Doctore" though — a strong and disciplined iron man.

19216744.jpg

Most of the people who watch this show, probably do so because of the slave girl scenes.

19216744.jpg

Strange, most of the people I know who watch it are women. The show certainly seems to "exploit" male nudity more than female..?

Dotore is my favorite character as well. I love that actor, he always seems to command the space around him, powerfully charismatic.

As to the conversion from atheist to believing in gods I actually found that as remarkably philosophically consistent for such a shallow show.

As a free man he is an atheist, as a slave he becomes religious... makes perfect sense to me as religion is nothing more than spiritual slavery anyway.

I watched about five minutes of the first episode and I came to the conclusion that his was trashola. And not very good trashola, either. The HBO evening soap opera -Rome- was much better into terms of execution and production quality.

It seems like the producers of -Spartacus- wanted to do a cheap imitation of -300- complete with spraying blood and stop action. -300- was a hoot, but -Spartacus- is (IMHO) a waste of cable-cast time.

Bob Kolker

Pretty disgusting trash, I'd put it on the same level as "Rome" as far as being shallow entertainment with exploitative sensationalism using sex- I particularly dislike what they did to the character of Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis (Cato The Younger) in 'Rome', where the producers apparently thought that he was his grandfather for some reason. I count Rome, Spartacus, Nip Tuck, Entourage and House as the worst trash to come out of TV Land in the last couple of years.

Pretty disgusting trash, I'd put it on the same level as "Rome" as far as being shallow entertainment with exploitative sensationalism using sex- I particularly dislike what they did to the character of Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis (Cato The Younger) in 'Rome', where the producers apparently thought that he was his grandfather for some reason. I count Rome, Spartacus, Nip Tuck, Entourage and House as the worst trash to come out of TV Land in the last couple of years.

Oh come now, be reasonable... Spartacus is trash and knows it and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

House likes to think it is smart and deals with "issues".