Objectivism Online Forum

Art Appreciation

Rate this topic

Marc K.

Have you seen the VanDamme Academy's new videos on YouTube? They are incredible!!!

There is a series on the Art curriculum and a series on the Writing curriculum, I recommend them all. But if you only watch three, then you MUST watch Parts 3, 4 and 5 of the Art curriculum here

I was in the same position as Lisa VanDamme as expressed by her in Parts 1 and 2 of same. I had no appreciation for paintings, they did not affect me on an emotional level. Mr. Travers here analyzes one particular painting and brings it to life, he may bring a tear to your eye.

I am supremely impressed and realize now how much my education lacked.

Enjoy.

Holy crap man, you're right. I was in the same position as well. There were some pictures that could give me an emotional reaction from right away, but I didn't know how to look deeply into them and most pictures just came across to me as "That looks cool" or "that looks bland".

I watched all eight parts of that video, and I would really recommend everyone else do the same. There were parts where I almost had a tear to my eye as well, all while talking about a painting (the Joan of Arc one) that I thought looked utterly boring at first glance.

EDIT: Also, in the first two videos, the way she talked about art, it sounded like she took a page from Objectivist aesthetics. Is this academy influenced by Objectivism at all?

Edited by Amaroq

EDIT: Also, in the first two videos, the way she talked about art, it sounded like she took a page from Objectivist aesthetics. Is this academy influenced by Objectivism at all?

Yes. Lisa herself is a practicing Objectivist and—if I'm not mistaken here—has even lectured at OCON a few times.