Objectivism Online Forum

Lierre Keith Attacked by Anarchist Vegans

Rate this topic

Last weekend, Lierre Keith, the author of The Vegetarian Myth, was attacked by militant anarchist vegans with three pies laced with cayenne pepper while speaking about her book. (This news report is pretty worthless, except that it does show a video of the attack. It was worse than "attacked with three pies" probably sounds.)

I don't have time to say much about the matter, but I wanted to express my disgust and outrage at this vicious assault -- and point folks to some further information on the attack and on The Vegetarian Myth.

First, we have some excellent posts on the attack:

I've not yet read The Vegetarian Myth. I've bought it, and I plan to read it. I'm looking forward to doing that based on the reviews I've read, such as:

I also want to listen to Jimmy Moore's original interview with her:

From the reviews that I've read, I'm sure that I'll disagree with quite a bit of the underlying philosophy of The Vegetarian Myth. That's neither here nor there, of course. The woman has a right to speak her mind, even at an anarchist bookfair.

I hope that her attackers are brought to justice, but sadly, that seems unlikely.

I'm not sure how to contact Lierre Keith to send her a message of support, but you might post something on the Facebook page for her book.

3372618-9110877881704486536?l=www.dianahsieh.com%2Fblog%2Findex.shtml
oUMU_sYhH1w

Cross-posted from Metablog

Being a vegan myself for over 10 years she is one of those vegans that I have run across many times in my life. The story goes like this: A teen struggling with their weight and most likely an eating disorder turns to veganism to help lose weight. Their version of a vegan diet consists of eating cereal, potato chips, and some other vegan junk food. Health issues galore ensue. They then blame all their health problems on eating a "vegan" diet.

Edited by DoubleIPA

Being a vegan myself for over 10 years she is one of those vegans that I have run across many times in my life. The story goes like this: A teen struggling with their weight and most likely an eating disorder turns to veganism to help lose weight. Their version of a vegan diet consists of eating cereal, potato chips, and some other vegan junk food. Health issues galore ensue. They then blame all their health problems on eating a "vegan" diet.

I haven't read the book, but I've read a short summary. The book is nothing like your little story, so it makes me wonder, are you at all familiar with it?

Being a vegan myself for over 10 years she is one of those vegans that I have run across many times in my life. The story goes like this:

Are you saying that is a summary of her book or that is a summary of the many times you have "run across" her in your life? I've found that most people's lives are a little more complex to summarize than by the information one can glean just by running across them here and there. A lot goes on while you are away.

Edited by RationalBiker

This summary of her work is so woefully inaccurate that it makes me wonder if you have studied the text at all.

In her book, Lierre Keith does a wonderful job of debunking vegan / vegetarian diets. The unfortunate part is that she does so on altruistic, nature-loving, gushy terms. She shows how veganism is irreconcilable with the desire to preserve nature, etc.

Despite this, (and I'm halfway through the book) it is useful for showing the contradictions in those espousing an ethical stance on veganism.