Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Professors?

Rate this topic

It's my lifelong dream to receive a PhD and pursue a career as an academic philosopher. I plan to teach, write, and help spread Objectivism. Right now I am working to make this dream a reality. I am planning on utilizing the OAC and, if I can, the Anthem Foundation.

I am almost halfway done with my undergraduate studies and soon I will be applying to graduate schools.

Does anyone know of Objectivist Professors currently teaching graduate programs in philosophy? When I go to grad school I would much rather work toward my PhD under the guidance of an Objectivist, rather than someone whose ideas will be radically opposed to mine.

I am hoping to find a professor like Allan Gotthelf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's my lifelong dream to receive a PhD and pursue a career as an academic philosopher. I plan to teach, write, and help spread Objectivism. Right now I am working to make this dream a reality. I am planning on utilizing the OAC and, if I can, the Anthem Foundation.

There are several Objectivist professors in universities across the U.S. I wouldn't worry about that right now; instead I would recommend getting involved with the Ayn Rand Institute's academic programs.

The OAC helps their students plan their graduate studies. This includes working with you to determine what program will best suit your needs. Keep in mind that the field of academic philosophy is extremely competitive and that you may very well be encouraged to study at a top-10 program versus studying under an Objectivist professor. This will greatly increase your chances of getting a job in academia upon completing your PhD.

You are embarking are a very difficult course (especially as an Objectivist) but it is a course that sorely needs to be traveled by more young people.

There are several Objectivist professors in universities across the U.S. I wouldn't worry about that right now; instead I would recommend getting involved with the Ayn Rand Institute's academic programs.

The OAC helps their students plan their graduate studies. This includes working with you to determine what program will best suit your needs. Keep in mind that the field of academic philosophy is extremely competitive and that you may very well be encouraged to study at a top-10 program versus studying under an Objectivist professor. This will greatly increase your chances of getting a job in academia upon completing your PhD.

You are embarking are a very difficult course (especially as an Objectivist) but it is a course that sorely needs to be traveled by more young people.

There are ways one can do both, but it is very important for the aspirant to know what they are getting into first. I've messaged Patrick, but if others would like some observations and contacts from an old veteran, I'm happy to share at [email protected].

I am almost halfway done with my undergraduate studies and soon I will be applying to graduate schools.

I would like to make a couple of suggestions based on observations of academics in philosophy and history departments of my local university, Portland State University, in Portland, Oregon. My field is history, not philosophy, and I am not an academic. In my fifties, I recently spent 5 years taking classes as a post-baccalaureate student, for my own education. (My love is the history of philosophers and other intellectuals -- what they did as well as what they believed.)

The "Big 10" may be the most prestigious and most powerful choices for a graduate student. But they certainly aren't the only choices. What matters most in choices of career path is your own long-term happiness.

I have known several young people who -- for whatever reason -- were not able to enter the most prestigious schools in their fields. They became discouraged and abandoned the field that they love. That is a horrible mistake. One can be happy doing one's work -- assuming basic qualifications -- in many areas outside the Big 10 and their ilk.

If you love field X and love teaching it, then be prepared to make some trade-offs in order to fulfill your love. That may mean living and working in places that are not your first choice, but that nevertheless enable you to do what you love.

My local university provides examples. It has a low ranking among universities. Yet, some of the academics there love what they are doing.

Even in the most competitive fields, persistence and flexibility, combined with basic ability, can win in the longterm.

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

David:

I have heard of Tara Smith, I even own a taped lecture course by her called Rationality and Objectivity. I think I’ll try to contact her and see if I can get some advice.

BTW: Are you actually a dog?? :D

Ray:

I will definitely take courses at the OAC. I see it as a treasure-trove of knowledge just waiting for me. Also, the idea of taking graduate courses at a university with Objectivist professors is just a shot in the dark at this point. I am just seeing what is possible out there, as I still have two years to figure this out. I could survive at a university without Objectivists— that’s probably what I’ll end up having to do anyway.

Burgess:

You are right that long-term happiness is what matters most. Right now I work as a restaurant manager. I do not enjoy my work—I have no interest in it whatsoever. Working at a community college would be preferable to what I do now. Certainly the idea of being a graduate student is extremely appealing to me, as opposed to working at a restaurant. When I start to look for jobs in academia, I won’t need to work at Stanford or Yale, as long as I find a job I like.