Objectivism Online Forum

Latte-drinking, tax-hiking, liberal sissies get their wish

Rate this topic

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/24/hea...care/index.html

Today, the Senate bill that we have all dreaded has passed. The Obama Administration has successfully shoved universal health care down our throats. I admit, I don't actually know what "health care" it is, because it's 3000+ pages long.

But not for long.

Several states have passed, will have passed, and almost 40 states altogether are pushing for legislation outlawing ObamaCare. Several lawyers have a lawsuit in the works as well. The benefits don't kick in until 2014. In the meantime, let's not wait until then. Pass a bill that prevents bills that are as long as what he's trying to pass.

It's not over yet!

Edited by Black Wolf

It appears, according to the article, that both the House and Senate versions have passed, and that they only need to be merged together.

EDIT: Is it true that you can be fined or arrested for not getting health insurance!?!?

Edited by Amaroq

It appears, according to the article, that both the House and Senate versions have passed, and that they only need to be merged together.

my understanding is that the Senate bill passed the Senate, a similar bill with a whole host of changes and fixes passed the House yesterday. now, despite the fact that both passed different bills, Obama will sign the Senate version into law and then they will go through a reconciliation process and the Senate will vote up/down on changes to their original bill, made by the house where no GOP filibuster is possible. but I don't understand how they can change the bill after Obama signs it into law?

they should make the Senate and the House vote on the same bill, only then can it be passed to the President.

EDIT: Is it true that you can be fined or arrested for not getting health insurance!?!?

more than likely.

didn't Obama ridicule Hillary for proposing this during the primaries?

Edited by rebelconservative

So correct me if I'm wrong... did the House just pass the Senate bill or its own bill? Does this bill now go to conference to be made into a final version, or does it now to go the President's desk to be signed?

from what I am reading, it seems clear to me that it goes to the President's desk to be signed... then, after it has become law... it goes to a reconciliation process to be made into a final version... but I hope I am mistaken, because that makes no sense whatsoever.

Re: can you be arrested for not getting health insurance

The answer is yes and no.

If the IRS deems you do not have coverage- or the kind of coverage they want you to have you will be assesed a fine of anywhere from 2% to 7% of your income.

If you do not pay the fine you can be arrested.

So they are evading the truth by saying you aren't being arrested for not having insurance- you are being arrested for tax evasion.

On a different topic with the same theme- this is all about the culture of entitlement that has been sweeping our country.

In Oregon people on ffod stamps basically get a debit card- to spare them the "embarassment" of using food stamps. Also, because it would be wrong to tell them what to do they can by soda, gum, candy, anything with them.

The big trend here, and in other major cities is young college educated people going on food stamps and having lavish dinner parties. I see this first hand literally EVERY time I go to the grocery store.... young hipster folk with carts full of the kind of food I certainly don't budget for- then paying with food stamps. It is sickening really.

Here's an article:

http://www.salon.com/life/pinched/2010/03/..._stamps_pinched

So correct me if I'm wrong... did the House just pass the Senate bill or its own bill? Does this bill now go to conference to be made into a final version, or does it now to go the President's desk to be signed?

To my understanding the senate bill passed the house. And they also passed a bill for changes. The senate bill that passed both houses goes to the president to be signed. Then they will try to pass the changes in the senate with reconcilliation magic.

Re: can you be arrested for not getting health insurance

The answer is yes and no.

If the IRS deems you do not have coverage- or the kind of coverage they want you to have you will be assesed a fine of anywhere from 2% to 7% of your income.

If you do not pay the fine you can be arrested.

So they are evading the truth by saying you aren't being arrested for not having insurance- you are being arrested for tax evasion.

On a different topic with the same theme- this is all about the culture of entitlement that has been sweeping our country.

In Oregon people on ffod stamps basically get a debit card- to spare them the "embarassment" of using food stamps. Also, because it would be wrong to tell them what to do they can by soda, gum, candy, anything with them.

The big trend here, and in other major cities is young college educated people going on food stamps and having lavish dinner parties. I see this first hand literally EVERY time I go to the grocery store.... young hipster folk with carts full of the kind of food I certainly don't budget for- then paying with food stamps. It is sickening really.

Here's an article:

http://www.salon.com/life/pinched/2010/03/..._stamps_pinched

As far as arrest goes, something just seems off to me about the language of the bill. I mean, seriously speaking, is there a chance to challenge the current form on constitutional grounds? To my understanding, the government cannot mandate me to buy product x, y, or z under penalty of imprisonment. It's one thing to impose a tax and enact single payer, it's quite another to tell me what to purchase.

As far as arrest goes, something just seems off to me about the language of the bill. I mean, seriously speaking, is there a chance to challenge the current form on constitutional grounds? To my understanding, the government cannot mandate me to buy product x, y, or z under penalty of imprisonment. It's one thing to impose a tax and enact single payer, it's quite another to tell me what to purchase.

They are calling the mandate legal because it touches on interstate commerce.

Republicans are challenging it stating that if someone DOESN'T purchase something no commerce happened.

They are calling the mandate legal because it touches on interstate commerce.

Republicans are challenging it stating that if someone DOESN'T purchase something no commerce happened.

Call me crazy, but that sounds like the makings of a Supreme Court case. It's most certainly a broader interpretation than what has been the status quo for....the last decade or so (may be wrong on the timetable there).

edit:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/0...for_a_supr.html

Huzzah for sanity checks.

Edited by Markoso

"latte-drinking, tax-hiking, liberal sissies"

Such hyperbolic language is unproductive and unnecessary. Walk a higher path.

Oh come on, I could have said much worse. I never meant for it to sound venomous. I thought a subject like this could at least be started on a humorous note.

I wouldn't worry too much about this bill, because the so-called "benefits" don't kick in until 2014. Obama will be out of here by them.

What sleezeballs they are, though. Democracy may be evil, but to force the majority to accept what they don't want is even more evil

Edited by Black Wolf

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait... wait.

Maybe I'm forgetting my basic elementary/middle school social studies here, but isn't a bill required to go through reconciliation with the house and senate before it is signed into law?

Also, thank for the clarification on the whole arresting bit.

Reconciliation is something else, you are thinking of conference committee (I think that's what it's called), where if the House and Senate pass two different but similar bills, they go to be merged into a final version. That final version then has to pass the House and Senate again before being signed by the President. However, I think what happened here is that the Senate passed a bill, then the House voted on the Senate bill instead of passing its own. That bill will be signed into law by the President. The House then passed a bunch of "fixes" to that bill, and then those fixes proceed to the Senate. Since those fixes are not considered "major" anymore, the Democrats plan to use reconciliation to bypass any GOP attempt at a filibuster.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

Reconciliation is something else, you are thinking of conference committee (I think that's what it's called), where if the House and Senate pass two different but similar bills, they go to be merged into a final version. That final version then has to pass the House and Senate again before being signed by the President. However, I think what happened here is that the Senate passed a bill, then the House voted on the Senate bill instead of passing its own. That bill will be signed into law by the President. The House then passed a bunch of "fixes" to that bill, and then those fixes proceed to the Senate. Since those fixes are not considered "major" anymore, the Democrats plan to use reconciliation to bypass any GOP attempt at a filibuster.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

I see, so, the Senate bill is signed into law and then another bill, the fixes amending the new law will be voted on in the senate and then pass to the President. if the senate rejects the House's fix bill, the original senate bill remains law.