Objectivism Online Forum

The Immediate Effects of ObamaCare

Rate this topic

Much of the just-passed health care bill will not kick in for some years. However, this 18-point slideshow details what will happen immediately. It's depressing, but very useful.

Then, after you watch that, I recommend following Gus Van Horn's strategy:

There is much to say about and learn from this battle, but after this post, I am stepping back from it for most of the day. The dishonest, emotionally manipulative nature of this battle has been exhausting -- revealingly, for the enemy side as well. This fight is far from over, but winning it will require not just the right ideas, but the will to fight, which can only come from moral certainty and the ability to sustain oneself by always remembering one's values. Towards that sacred end, I recommend enjoying something one loves today, or in the near future as a means of catching a breather, of remembering what we are fighting for, of fully experiencing the independence and defiance of a free mind, and most importantly, of living the life that Nancy Pelosi's ilk forfeited long ago, and now want to sap away from you.

Like Gus, I am profoundly grateful to all the Objectivists who stepped up to fight this fight. Lin Zinser motivated and organized us to speak out for freedom in medicine in Colorado back in 2007 and 2008. Ari Armstrong taught us so much about effective advocacy -- and contributed with his own writings. John Lewis reinvigorated us with his passionate writing and speaking in defense of rights. So many OActivists wrote their representatives letter after letter, urging them to respect our rights. Even though we lost this battle, we fought harder than ever before -- and we made a difference. I'm so grateful for that.

Most of all though, Paul has done amazing work, writing one clear, cogent article after another in defense of individual rights in medicine. You saw the steady steam of product; I saw the labor too. Almost every night, for months on end, Paul dove into his writing after a super-busy day reading radiology cases, often staying up into the wee hours of the morning, then waking up early for another busy day of reading cases. I couldn't have done that: I don't have the endurance. He made it look easy. And he's still at it, as I write this on Monday night. I'm more proud of him than I can say.

I'm not giving up. ObamaCare must be repealed!

3372618-2545364396161053389?l=www.dianahsieh.com%2Fblog%2Findex.shtml
MVy0F4A-wEs

Cross-posted from Metablog

To many, if not most people, those consequences don't look all that bad. Because of that, I have a hard time believing that they are going to be repealed any time soon, or by any republican dominated government in the future. It's a little hard to scare people about socialized medicine when there has been a constant and dramatic increase in government involvement in the sector since the 1960's. A recent article I just read stated it clearly enough: by 2012 medicare would have already covered half of the health industry.

Additionally, I don't perceive the populist uproar concerning this issue will last much longer. This is just speculation, but I think many have already lost steam--because they never had proper motivation to begin with. I asked a wild old lady I know, who was vehemently against the health law, if she thought things were going to be as bad as she said, now that the bill has passed. For whatever reason, she was very willing to capitulate and act like the whole thing wasn't a big deal to begin with. But, of course, she's elderly, so I wasn't willing to go in to the details of why it is, and always will be, an issue with great consequence. She has her medicare still, so I'm sure it doesn't matter much to her anyway.

To many, if not most people, those consequences don't look all that bad. Because of that, I have a hard time believing that they are going to be repealed any time soon, or by any republican dominated government in the future. It's a little hard to scare people about socialized medicine when there has been a constant and dramatic increase in government involvement in the sector since the 1960's. A recent article I just read stated it clearly enough: by 2012 medicare would have already covered half of the health industry.

I agree with you in that this will be virtually impossible to repeal until there is a new president and even then it will be extremely difficult. The best we can hope for is to end the Democrat's control of Congress and push the Republicans to fix the most horrendous parts of this mess.