Objectivism Online Forum

American Politics -- Everyone Must Die!

Rate this topic

When did it get so bad that people can't even agree on disagreeing with each other. The only thing anyone seems capable of in the mainstream of politics is wishing harm on the other side. I wonder if our culture is devolving into barbarism. Below are two links from both sides, that's my evidence.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard...eck-and-oreilly

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2...for_obama_.html

Edited by Sabre

So, we're devolving into barbarism, and your evidence for this is nasty political speech by an extremely small minority. Most people do not want talk show hosts to kill themselves or wish to see the president assassinated, no matter how vehemently they may disagree. Politics always has been and always will be nasty.

Back in the 1800s, presidential candidates used to call each other's wives whores. Sometime in the late 1800s, I think, one Congressman used his cane to beat another Congressman to within an inch of his life...on the House floor. This is nothing new, and we are no more barbaric (indeed, in my opinion, considerably less so) than we have been at any point in the history of this country, which is in turn far less barbaric than 99.9% of all human societies that have existed since homo sapiens first evolved

So, we're devolving into barbarism, and your evidence for this is nasty political speech by an extremely small minority. Most people do not want talk show hosts to kill themselves or wish to see the president assassinated, no matter how vehemently they may disagree. Politics always has been and always will be nasty.

Well, my point exactly. I thought we've gotten over a lot of this stuff. It looks like we are slipping back into. If only slightly. It's not a good thing and frankly I'm frustrated by the way the loudest people are carrying themselves. Frustrated enough in the instances above -- which you know are only the tip of the iceberg -- to rouse me from my impartiality to the entire debacle. (The rest of that iceberg being all of the noise generated since Barack Obama was nominated).

But I guess I'll just go back to being impartial because if as you say, this is the norm, then I don't want that much to do with this norm. Who does? If we all sat on our hands and let the worst lead us... well I'm sure we'll be fine. I'm sure one day they will stop screaming like children and realize the errors of the their ways while simultaneously embracing a more gentlemen-like approach to disagreements and conflict.

It's going to happen.

Any day now.