Objectivism Online Forum

Insurers Might Delay Covering Pre-existing Conditions

Rate this topic

Seeker

Looks like the law has a loophole. Could this be a way out for insurance companies until Obamacare can be repealed?

Coverage Now for Sick Children? Check Fine Print

The new law says that health plans and insurers offering individual or group coverage “may not impose any pre-existing condition exclusion with respect to such plan or coverage” for children under 19, starting in “plan years” that begin on or after Sept. 23, 2010.

But, insurers say, until 2014, the law does not require them to write insurance at all for the child or the family. In the language of insurance, the law does not include a “guaranteed issue” requirement before then.

Congressional Democrats were furious when they learned that some insurers disagreed with their interpretation of the law.

“The concept that insurance companies would even seek to deny children coverage exemplifies why we fought for this reform,” said Representative Henry A. Waxman, Democrat of California and chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee.

Senator John D. Rockefeller IV, Democrat of West Virginia and chairman of the Senate commerce committee, said: “The ink has not yet dried on the health care reform bill, and already some deplorable health insurance companies are trying to duck away from covering children with pre-existing conditions. This is outrageous.”

Yeah. No doubt it was there on purpose. The bill is something like 3000 pages long and they leave this out? really? I don't think I'm mistaken when I say that a lot of these sort of laws always leave a loophole to thinly justify more such legislation.