Objectivism Online Forum

I will leave this country!

Rate this topic

th3ranger

IF:

-The courts completely fail at protecting the constitution from the obvious unconstitutional laws.

-AND-

-The 2012 election is "business as usual" meaning that most voters clearly do not understand what is going on, and no third party candidates are elected to any federal office. (Bonus if Democrats are elected into seats as many or more than last election, SUPER-EXTRA-MEGA-BONUS if Republicans do not run on the basis of repeal of these insane laws)

-AND-

Average people continue to completely blank out why it's so stupid to force insurance companies to cover "existing conditions."

Some time in 2013 I will sell nearly everything I own and I WILL move abroad. If the above conditions prove to be true, this US of A, my country of birth, IS going to be come a shit hole real damned fast. No THANKS. I'm going to start the passport and visa process very soon. I will not answer questions about what country. That is for me to decide. It will most likely be significantly more free than the USA will be if all that is true. Hint: It has less than 5% unemployment.

Uh.....no?

lol Just a poor attempt at guessing where you're heading - China?

To your post, I read, or heard, once that only about 5% of the US is actually inhabited. If we cut out the nether reaches of Alaska, I'd bet one could quit this country without actually quitting its borders. I need to do more research on this, but it seems a much more viable option than actually leaving.

Let's see, some place with less that 5% unemployment. Could be Nigeria, Ukraine, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Bangladesh, Belarus, Cuba. I'm betting Monaco or Guernsey.

Drop us a line in 2015 and let us know how things are going. I'd especially like to know how long it takes to realized that you moved to a bigger shithole.

None of the guesses are correct so far. Yes it probably would be easy to live in Alaska and no one would know you are there but bears. Another hint: nearly all indigenous life can kill you and even some of the imported wildlife can kill you. I'm guessing nature hikes aren't very popular.

Correction: The unemployment rate, now that I look at the most recent figure, is actually 5.3%. Sorry.

Edited by th3ranger

Well, that is your loss, but do as you please. I doubt that anyone, apart from your family and your friends, is interested in trying to convince you of staying, if that is what you were aiming for. Also, are you threatening someone? Because you sound as if you were giving an ultimatum, or something like that. Anyway, if you are uncomfortable with the current state of your country, and think that you could be happier somewhere else, then you should leave as soon as possible. Absolutely. That is exactly what I am planning to do. As soon as I get my degree, I am leaving my country for good, and I will never come back. I figured out that the situation is not going to improve during my lifetime, and I am wasting my entire youth in this place. Your position is not so bad though. By the way, if you are keeping the name of the country to yourself, why do you even bother in giving us hints? Do you want to make this a guessing game or something? Probably no one even cares. In any case, let me try. Is it Iceland? I always hear great things about Iceland.

Edited by Howard Roark

Well, that is your loss, but do as you please. I doubt that anyone, apart from your family and your friends, is interested in trying to convince you of staying, if that is what you were aiming for. Also, are you threatening someone? Because you sound as if you were giving an ultimatum, or something like that. Anyway, if you are uncomfortable with the current state of your country, and think that you could be happier somewhere else, then you should leave as soon as possible. Absolutely. That is exactly what I am planning to do. As soon as I get my degree, I am leaving my country for good, and I will never come back. I figured out that the situation is not going to improve during my lifetime, and I am wasting my entire youth in this place. Your position is not so bad though. By the way, if you are keeping the name of the country to yourself, why do you even bother in giving us hints? Do you want to make this a guessing game or something? Probably no one even cares. In any case, let me try. Is it Iceland? I always hear great things about Iceland.

No I didn't expect anyone to try and stop me. I don't expect any of my friends or family to try to stop me. I'm not threatening anyone, but I am interested in hearing whether anyone here thinks it's completely insane. I wanted to show what my thoughts are about why I will leave, given the obvious direction the wind is blowing. Honestly, I want someone to say, to convince me that "Its not that bad!" That most people aren't really that stupid about current political events, that most voters can see what is going on. I want to be told I'm wrong about all of this.

I have no idea why I'm keeping the country to myself. From what I've dug up, it looks really good. I think the worst thing anyone can say about Australia is the stupid internet censoring. I'm losing increasing enslavement by the government for "free" healthcare and gaining alot of economic freedom. Incidentally,

In 2008, the Australian Labor Party introduced a policy of mandatory Internet filtering for all Australians. While the policy has not yet come into force, it has generated substantial opposition, with only a few groups in support. The Labor Party does not have enough votes in the Senate to enact any legislation to support the filter, so the filter has "effectively been scuttled" unless the government is able to implement the filter by other means.

-Wikipedia[1][2][3]

China can't effectively censor the Internet, so I doubt Australia will.

Here is a photo, a very Objectivist photo:

800px-Surfers_Paradise_Beach_Queensland.jpg

Look at those skyscrapers! Look at all the cranes!

The caption says this is "Surfers Paradise Beach" in Queensland.

Is that really the name of the beach???

Why not camp out in Delaware or New Hampshire? Is there some horrible aspect to those states that I've missed, since I never see anyone suggest them even though their laws (taxes and guns, mostly) seem top notch?

Oh, and for some perspective, I'm working on moving into the US. You ARE the "other world" so many people hope for. Don't be so quick to think there might be another one waiting for you.

Edited by L-C

The US is probably still the best place left even with the direction it's going. If the US collapses, that's it. There probably won't be anywhere else to go by then.

It might be a better idea to stay and fight.

I have looked into it fairly deeply myself, as a contingency plan for some day in the future if I am not willing to tolerate the U.S. anymore. I have decided on Singapore. A nice bonus is that the main language is English.

Just watch out for the caning!

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/26/us/us-st...ml?pagewanted=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

John Link

Seriously, this is the problem.

When our forefathers fought for this country, they said "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH".

Now, we're just like "Give me liberty or else I'm leaving!".

If you want liberty, stay and fight! If America falls to statism and dictatorship, where are you going to go?

Europe? Their political freedoms are great, but they've given up on laissez-faire economics.

Asia? They're moving more and more towards laissez-faire, but there is no freedom of speech, right to vote, or any similarity to Anglo-Saxon law.

America is our last hope for sanity, like it or not. If we participate in the Kyoto Protocol, then science is truly dead. If we let Obama get away with his health care plan, then Constitutional morality is dead. Don't leave this country.

Edited by Black Wolf

If you want liberty, stay and fight! If America falls to statism and dictatorship, where are you going to go?

Somewhere else? Europe is great, even if America isn't a dictatorship, it has so much to offer. No country in the world is laissez faire, so I think you're aiming for a little too much.

America is our last hope for sanity, like it or not.

What? Could you please elaborate? You must be only trying your literary skills here.

F- that, I am from a family that came to America to escape statism. Singapore isn't exactly a laissez-faire haven, it has one party rule, censorship, and lots of economic and social interventionism. There is also a huge anti-immigration sentiment right now amongst the people who think they are losing jobs and wasting welfare on immigrants. Your money may be safe in Singapore, but I wouldn't prefer it to the US in terms of living. America can be saved, don't give up on her.

Edited by 2046

Somewhere else? Europe is great, even if America isn't a dictatorship, it has so much to offer.

Is this an April Fool's joke?

No country in the world is laissez faire, so I think you're aiming for a little too much.

No, but America is the closest thing to it.

What? Could you please elaborate? You must be only trying your literary skills here.

I just did - Not blindly agreeing to Kyoto Protocol, not making the assumption that universal health care is some sort of landmark that an industrialized nation has to achieve, etc.

Edited by Black Wolf