Objectivism Online Forum

Seeking Audiobook on Great Depression Causes

Rate this topic

determinist

I'm in the midst of reading Ayn Rand's (and Greenspan's) Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. She was talking about monopolies and the Great Depression. It has me interested in more details. I listen to audiobooks rather than reading hard copies because I have long rides to my college and limited free time. I'm also looking for something that assumes no prerequisite understanding of business terms. Is it realistic to understand without visuals of graphs or heavy math? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Edited by determinist

I've listened to Amity Shlaes's "The Forgotten Man" on audio. It is not exactly economics, and the little economics that Ms. Shlaes talks about is shaky, so perhaps not exactly what you're looking for. Nevertheless, it brings alive the ideology and political atmosphere of that time. I highly recommend it as one of the book to read if one is to fully understand the depression years.

Economists disagree widely on the causes of business-cycles. A lot of Economists writing about the depression write from the viewpoint of their specific theory. I'd recommend Charles Kindleberger's "The World in Depression" as a decent starting point, but I don't know if its available in audio form.

I'm in the midst of reading Ayn Rand's (and Greenspan's) Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. She was talking about monopolies and the Great Depression. It has me interested in more details. I listen to audiobooks rather than reading hard copies because I have long rides to my college and limited free time. I'm also looking for something that assumes no prerequisite understanding of business terms. Is it realistic to understand without visuals of graphs or heavy math? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Murray Rothbard's "America's Great Depression" is available on Audio Book for free at Mises.org

Murray Rothbard's "America's Great Depression" is available on Audio Book for free at Mises.org

I wasn't able to find that particular audio book, when you get some free time I would really appreciate a link.