Objectivism Online Forum

Doctor tells Obama supporters: Go elsewhere for health care

Rate this topic

CapitalistSwine

53055642.JPG

Doctor tells Obama supporters: Go elsewhere for health care

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0296,full.story

If you look at the poll about this on the left hand side, 82% agree with his decision to do this. (43,000 something responses)

Moral of the story: You cannot force people to do things, they will resist, eventually, and in some way.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

There is also this one I found quite a few months back if anyone enjoyed this:

This is from a health office in Canada.

The article for this one is crossposted on my blog:

http://objectivistresistance.ning.com/prof...rience-with-the

ocanada.jpg

I wish there was a way to find out who voted for whom.

I'm very glad there isn't. Imagine SEIU or ACORN thugs going around to peoples' houses that didn't vote the right way.

And even individual anonymity might not be enough: neighborhoods that did not vote sufficiently in favor of the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, or Castro in Cuba, would have their food rations cut. If you actually voted for these people, tough luck, you lived in the wrong neighborhood.

It doesn't seem to me like the person is literally saying he'll deny treatment if you voted for Obama's health care plan. It seems like he was saying "I'm not doing this anymore, period, and you can thank Obama supporters"

I could be wrong, though. I think it would be kinda stupid to deny people urologic care for that, there's probably some law that prevents you from doing that.

I think it would be kinda stupid to deny people urologic care for that, there's probably some law that prevents you from doing that.

According to what I read, it's actually not illegal, nor should it be, though that doesn't mean someone won't manage to successfully sue him over the sign. I think his intent is to say he's willing to give them what they voted for: less available health care. Also, in the area where he works, it also appears to be good marketing.

Read the article.

Main Points:

"I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical," Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist and a registered Republican opposed to the health plan, told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."

Cassell may be walking a thin line between his right to free speech and his professional obligation, said William Allen, professor of bioethics, law and medical professionalism at the University of Florida's College of Medicine.

Allen said doctors cannot refuse patients on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or disability, but political preference is not one of the legally protected categories specified in civil-rights law. By insisting he does not quiz his patients about their politics and has not turned away patients based on their vote, the doctor is "trying to hold onto the nub of his ethical obligation," Allen said.

In his waiting room, Cassell also has provided his patients with photocopies of a health-care timeline produced by Republican leaders that outlines "major provisions" in the health-care package. The doctor put a sign above the stack of copies that reads: "This is what the morons in Washington have done to your health care. Take one, read it and vote out anyone who voted for it."

Cassell, whose lawyer wife, Leslie Campione, has declared herself a Republican candidate for Lake County commissioner, said three patients have complained, but most have been "overwhelmingly supportive" of his position.

"They know it's not good for them," he said.

Cassell, who previously served as chief of surgery at Florida Hospital Waterman in Tavares, said a patient's politics would not affect his care for them, although he said he would prefer not to treat people who support the president.

"I can at least make a point," he said.

I think it would be kinda stupid to deny people urologic care for that, ...
To the extent that those patients agree with Obama, they do not respect his right. To that extent, they have voted to use government force against him. So, while the facts are obscured, in effect it is like a patient walking in and demanding treatment on the patient's terms, with a threat of force against the doctor if he does not deliver it. In many cases, it may be wise to comply with the thug, but in this case he decided to take some stand.

..., there's probably some law that prevents you from doing that.
He claims that he will not deny treatment the way his notice might have one assume.

Well, your vote is secret, so probably this isn't going to work for him, but maybe he is just trying to make a statement, which is great. I wish there was a way to find out who voted for whom.

Speaking with someone for a few minutes would be a pretty easy way to find out.

Maybe I've learned this from too much television :), but I thought a doctor can lose his right to practice if he doesn't perform his work indiscriminately, due to some oath taken.

The article suggests that discrimination applies to race, gender, military status, etc. Political stance is not mentioned.

It also must be an emergency for the "victim" to take action

Edited by Black Wolf

I don't have a link available right off hand, but that doctor is being sued by his own Congressman for denying services. The issue is not is he denying services anyhow, but rather the right of association of the doctor and it is a violation of this right for anyone to force him to treat people he'd rather not treat -- The Hippocratic Oath potentially to the contrary notwithstanding. But you can be that ObamaCare will make it illegal to turn people away, because the doctors are going to be treated as agents of the state before too long. In other words, the doctor's right to treat who he chooses on his own terms will be violated by ObamaCare. The doctor will no longer be an independent agent -- and I'm sure they will try to revoke their license if they disagree or pick and choose who they are going to service. And all of health Care will be treated the same way -- you won't have a say as to who you are going to treat and under what terms. All of that will be decided by the State. This is the end result of socialized medicine. And it is evil and will decline the health care industry all across the board.

Maybe I've learned this from too much television :), but I thought a doctor can lose his right to practice if he doesn't perform his work indiscriminately, due to some oath taken.

I've only read the Arizona rules on what constitutes cause for revoking a license in the eyes of the state medical board, but I don't think refusing some patients (for reasons that don't otherwise break the law, like racial discrimination) is on any state's list. If anyone's aware of any Florida laws that say otherwise, please post them. It would be a pretty extreme position to take, even for the more liberal states. I don't think before the current batch of Democrats in office, anyone would've dared suggest it.

The general anti-discrimination laws definitely don't apply, that I know for sure.