Objectivism Online Forum

Authorization of Assassination for US citizen

Rate this topic

Markoso

Well if you can believe anything that is published in Salon, this is a disturbing development. I highly doubt that the use of an executive power to give assassination orders upon American citizens would remain limited to terrorists for long.

Or, as the left loves to do, the definition of terrorist will simply be inflated and expanded to mean: anyone who opposes the Obama administration.

Today's target: an Islamofascist cleric, in order to sell the plan to neocons. They cheer it on, because the target is a vile piece of Islamic Totalitarian filth who deserves to get sent to meet Allah.

Tomorrow's target: any number of expatriate Americans who dare to speak out against the current aspiring totalitarians that are in power in DC.

I don't necessarily believe that this story is true. But if it is true, does it not mark the beginning of one of Ayn Rand's benchmarks that undeniably identify a government as a dictatorship? Is this not the beginning of executions without trial?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/world/mi...07yemen.html?hp

These are the articles from which the Salon story is drawn, just for clarification (as far as veracity goes).

As far as commentary is concerned, I'm completely in agreement with your thoughts on the subject, and it really does boggle my mind that this particular story has hit as quietly as it has. It really does give me reason for pause to think of what other eras would've been like had this level of power been appropriated. Imagine what McCarthyism really could've been with this level of executive power being brandished against you.

Edited by Markoso