Objectivism Online Forum

New Essay Contest: The Objective Standard

Rate this topic

A most welcome announcement from Craig Biddle, the editor of The Objective Standard:

I'm pleased to announce the first annual Objective Standard Essay Contest. Here are a few details:

Topic for 2010: The Moral Foundation of Capitalism

Few people who advocate capitalism know fully what this social system is, and even fewer are able to defend it on moral grounds. What is capitalism? What are its distinguishing characteristics? On what moral principles do they depend? And why are so few people able to name and uphold these principles?

Prizes

First place: $2,000 plus publication in TOS

Second place: $750

Third place: $300

Eligibility

The contest is open to anyone ages 18 to 35, excluding TOS contributors. Students and non-students alike are encouraged to enter.

Submission Deadline and Announcement of Winners

The deadline for submissions is August 15, 2010. Winners will be announced on October 15, 2010.

For more information, visit
www.TheObjectiveStandard.com/Essay
. And please pass the information along to anyone you know who might be interested in entering the contest.

Sincerely,

Craig Biddle, Editor

The Objective Standard

3372618-1743200376040881691?l=www.dianahsieh.com%2Fblog%2Findex.shtml
GTgv6vcNi78

Cross-posted from Metablog

Since most of the people writing this are going to be in concordance with Rand's view on rational self interest, how is any originality going to come through? It's going to be hard to say "Capitalism is moral because..." without reciting 'The Virtue of Selfishness' in my own words. I suppose this could be viewed as part of the challenge.

• 2 months later...