Objectivism Online Forum

How can one clear one's mind of junk?

Rate this topic

Release

This may seem trivial but I've been listening to an Oldies station in my car because I can't stand music these days...so it's oldies during the day and NPR at night for classical. Well, from the time I wake up till I goto sleep at night I constantly have oldie songs playing in my head. It wont stop...just keep repeating lyrics over and over :(.

Now, this hasn't happened too much in the past but it seems that it's been going on lately and I can't just 'shut it off'.

Before when things would happen like this I would just meditate (don't say anything, we've already had this convo...lol) and I could clear my mind so that I can focus on more important issues more effectively. But I havn't done that in a very long time and I've been faring well...untill this past week. Literally from the moment I wake up I have some ridiculous lyric in my head on super repeat.

How can one fix this problem? Is this some identifier of a more serious issue.

I personally am attributing this to stress...the past week has been 10 times more stressful than my usual life is and I think that this may be a coping mechanism...but then again I could be wrong....any suggestion?

~Michael

You could try audio tapes from the library or a book store to entertain yourself. You may want to try not listening to anything though. Some people can't stand listening to their own thoughts, but I think you can gain something valuable, by being introspective. Whether your situation is the result of some deep psychological factor, I couldn't tell you. All I can think of is that you may be trying to avoid something in your life by filling your thoughts with these songs-- in effect blanking out or running away from something. I don't know you at all so I could be way off. :confused:

I'm trying to remember a good self help book, but the name escapes me. Nathaniel Branden has a few good ones. His Six Pillars of Self Esteem is quite good.

I love listening to my own thoughts...thats what the problem is...these songs are not my own thoughts. I usually have no problem with this stuff but this week has been strange.

A friend of mine suggested it just may be me being very happy, rather than being stressed. That made sense but it's making me happy that I can't clear my head.

I love listening to my own thoughts...thats what the problem is...these songs are not my own thoughts. I usually have no problem with this stuff but this week has been strange.

I wasn't considering lyrics to be your own thoughts, but what GreedyCapitalist makes sense. What would you suggest to be a productive activity that can be done while driving a car?

I have about 5GB of economics and philosophy lectures on my laptop that I send to my car stereo when I drive long distance. Very useful, and makes me want to stay in the car whenever I get there. I tried it at work, but found it totally imbossible to think about philosophy and write code at the same time. Other professions may have better luck.