Objectivism Online Forum

drawing lines between preferences and anti-concepts

Rate this topic

One thing I've been thinking about lately is where to draw the line in "mutli"-cultural aspects. For example, the multiculturalist approach is obviously evil, but what about distinct culturalism? For example, I might (for some reason) enjoy some of Sweden's cultural content, even though it I don't really see the point in making doll horses and displaying them in my house. Or Parisian culture. Or whatever example you like. So if you have a comment on 'culturalism', I'd enjoy hearing it.

One thing I've been thinking about lately is where to draw the line in "mutli"-cultural aspects. For example, the multiculturalist approach is obviously evil, but what about distinct culturalism? For example, I might (for some reason) enjoy some of Sweden's cultural content, even though it I don't really see the point in making doll horses and displaying them in my house. Or Parisian culture. Or whatever example you like. So if you have a comment on 'culturalism', I'd enjoy hearing it.

The reason multi-culturalism is evil is because it claims there is no objective morality.

You draw a line between disfiguring a young girls genitals and respecting her rights as a sovereign human. One is moral, one is evil regardless of 'cultural' background.

Do not equate this to wooden shoes and sneakers.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. What do you think 'culturalism' consists of, and why does it need a concept of its own? Enjoying specific concretes that originate in a foreign culture -- whether food, music, dance, architecture, whatever -- is just another kind of optional value. Multiculturalism carries an egalitarian assertion that all cultures are equally valuable, which is simply not true. As William A. Henry observed in In Defense of Elitism, "Putting a bone in one's nose is scarcely on the level of putting a man on the moon." But if you, as an individual, decide that you really like Swedish meatballs, and they improve your life, go for it.