Objectivism Online Forum

Question about hedonism

Rate this topic

Brian Gates

I'm posting this in the misc. forum because it doesn't pertain to Objectivism specifically. Does hedonism hold that the good is whatever brings one pleasure, as Ayn Rand wrote, or does it hold that the experience of pleasure itself is what is good? Does it make a distinction between the instrument of pleasure and the actual experience/sensation?

Where did Rand mention that 'good is whatever brings one pleasure' precisely? I have read Epicurus say that, but never Rand.

I'm posting this in the misc. forum because it doesn't pertain to Objectivism specifically. Does hedonism hold that the good is whatever brings one pleasure, as Ayn Rand wrote, or does it hold that the experience of pleasure itself is what is good? Does it make a distinction between the instrument of pleasure and the actual experience/sensation?

Where did Rand mention that 'good is whatever brings one pleasure' precisely? I have read Epicurus say that, but never Rand.
He means that was Rand's conception of "hedonism", not that she advocated it.

If Epicurus did, then we have confirmation that Rand's concept was similar to Epicurus's.