Objectivism Online Forum

Greatest Regret Because Of Your Vote

Rate this topic

I think the Kerry vs. Bush issue has been pretty much exhausted. Both sides have made the best possible arguments. I doubt many people will change their minds at this point. But given that both sides argue that their candidate is the lesser of two evils I have a question: If your candidate is elected what is likely to be your greatest regret based on what he might do?

I'll start it out. I used early voting in Orange County, CA to vote for Bush. I think I'm most worried that he will not do anything about Iran and that the continued idiocy in Iraq will lead to full scale civil war culminating in another Islamic state. Now, obviously I'm hoping this won't happen and for various reasons already discussed I think Kerry would be worse but that's what I'm most worried about in terms of Bush. I'm not as worried by his religion, though I am worried about the increasing religious trend in the culture.

I think the Kerry vs. Bush issue has been pretty much exhausted. Both sides have made the best possible arguments. I doubt many people will change their minds at this point. But given that both sides argue that their candidate is the lesser of two evils I have a question: If your candidate is elected what is likely to be your greatest regret based on what he might do?

I'll start it out. I used early voting in Orange County, CA to vote for Bush. I think I'm most worried that he will not do anything about Iran and that the continued idiocy in Iraq will lead to full scale civil war culminating in another Islamic state. Now, obviously I'm hoping this won't happen and for various reasons already discussed I think Kerry would be worse but that's what I'm most worried about in terms of Bush. I'm not as worried by his religion, though I am worried about the increasing religious trend in the culture.

I voted early here in Nevada for Bush. My greatest fear in a second Bush term is that the war won't move beyond Iran and North Korea. I agree that the United States doing anything about Iran is troubling in that we may not do anything. This doesn't worry me perhaps as much as it does you because of what the Israeli government has been saying and the fact that we have been selling them long range refueling tankers and bunker buster bombs, which can only be used for Iranian targets. So I think that even if we sit on our hands, the Israelis will not.

I do not think in terms of regret. I may be disappointed, or disgusted, or sad, or angry, or any combination of the above, by what happens after the election, but I won't regret my decision.

I understand that my power to effect what happens by this vote is limited to one in millions. I understand that the decision I've made is based on very few actual facts and a lot of surmises and assumptions, and probably some wishful thinking. There's no way around this. I've done the best I can. I won't regret my choice anymore after the election than I do right now, and right now I regret that I don't have better field of candidates to choose from. This is nothing new; I've been voting since Nixon was first elected and I've never once been able to cast a vote FOR someone.

Now, there's lots of things I worry about. I don't worry that Bush will do nothing about Iran, though. There are too many indications that this is not the case. Even if Israel does the deed, it will be because they were tasked the job, and do so with the full support of the administration (at least the part of the administration that isn't PeaceprocessroadmapArafat supporters ;)).

I'm fairly decided on voting for Bush.

I'm not terribly worried about how he'll handle the war. I know many of his cabinet and our military leaders have their heads on pretty straight and I'm not too concerned he'll micro-manage them into doing bad things.

I am worried that Bush will not remove social programs that will need removing. I am also worried that he won't slash taxes enough.

Interestingly enough, Kerry would do far worse on both of the above, so that's not a regret on voting Bush vs Kerry as such.

I am unhappy with his religiousness and am worried he may appoint someone to the supreme court that might screw with things. But I am more worried that Kerry would do the same. If the Dems had apponted someone less openly religious and altruistic, then I might have had a tougher choice.

As Thoyd said, no Kerry no way.