Objectivism Online Forum

Vacationing as a human right

Rate this topic

Well, now I've seen it all.

The European Union has declared travelling a human right, and is launching a scheme to subsidize vacations with taxpayers' dollars for those too poor to afford their own trips.

“Travelling for tourism today is a right. The way we spend our holidays is a formidable indicator of our quality of life,” Mr. Tajani told a group of ministers at The European Tourism Stakeholders Conference in Madrid on April 15.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2923469

http://www.nileguide.com/blog/2010/04/19/e...al-human-right/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
He has a right to lunch for as long as he pleases! :)

Certainly! I mean, the way way we spend our lunch time is a very strong indication of our moral character as human beings, right? That means everyone is definitely entitled to lunch. We should totally all pitch together and pay for it.

Jeez. Some policies make me sick these days. Everyone would like to assume that everyone deserves everything just because people are human, without catching their own redundancies, let alone contradictions. I'm just waiting until the government passes a law stating that everyone has a right to internet or something...

Hold up, didn't the US try that recently? And it got shot down? At least SOMEONE in the courts has half a brain left to compute rational decisions.

The European Union has declared travelling a human right, and is launching a scheme to subsidize vacations with taxpayers' dollars for those too poor to afford their own trips.

:)

That's gotta be a strawman or something. What is the actual "scheme" being put in place?

Blessed are the poor, for they shall become the fertilizer in the vacant lots of the abandoned minds to ensure a bumper crop of power-lust weeds.

Where is the Preen® when you need it?