Objectivism Online Forum

Looking for an Old Post on IP

Rate this topic

Cogito

Hi all,

I used to post here very frequently, but I haven't been around in quite some time. It's possible that I'm making this up, but I seem to remember a thread from back then in which the main poster proposed a system of intellectual property without term limits. The poster disagreed with Rand's view that a patent held in perpetuity would imply parasitism on frozen value, and made a good case for the idea that continued work and innovation would be needed to protect the value of the patent. I seem to remember the example of the caveman who invented the wheel being an instrumental example. At the time, I wasn't ready in my understanding of politics to consider the issues, but now I'm very interested in revisiting the arguments being made. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread anywhere, and my searches are coming up nil. Does anyone remember this thread? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Shea/Cogito