Objectivism Online Forum

HWB Joseph's "The labour theory of value in Karl Marx"

Rate this topic

Atlas51184

This book is from 1923, and not available on Amazon. It is out of print and I suspect no longer under copyright. Does anyone have a pdf copy, or know where one might be available? I've found a used hard copy for $40. However, I don't have $40, and I might want to use it for a reading group, so a pdf is preferable. I've already done extensive google searching and come up empty handed. mises.org doesn't have it, despite their extensive collection of pro-capitalist literature.

I've got nothing, but can see why you might like Joseph. From this link on Debunking Popper

The crux of the case against Hume was stated in 1916 by H.W.B. Joseph in
An Introduction to Logic
: "A thing, to be at all, must be something, and can only be what it is. To assert a causal connexion between
a
and
x
implies that
a
acts as it does because it is what it is; because, in fact, it is
a
. So long therefore as it is
a
, it must act thus; and to assert that it may act otherwise on a subsequent occasion is to assert that what is
a
is something else than the
a
which it is declared to be." Hume's whole argument - persuasive though it may be - is, to borrow Joseph's words, "in flat conflict with the Law of Identity."

A right sensible fellow.

Sounds like an interesting book-but I am curious...why is ILL not an option? Every public library has access to ILL. You just have to go to the local library, get a library card, and then go through the specific library's ILL procedures.

ILL is not an option because borrowing is not an option. I can't read books like this w/o writing myself notes in the margins, so I need my own copy. I've decided to buy a used copy. If it's good I'm going to turn it into a pdf, so I'll post a note here in a few weeks/months in case someone wants a copy.

• 1 month later...
ILL is not an option because borrowing is not an option. I can't read books like this w/o writing myself notes in the margins, so I need my own copy. I've decided to buy a used copy. If it's good I'm going to turn it into a pdf, so I'll post a note here in a few weeks/months in case someone wants a copy.

Hi, have you turned it into pdf ? I'd like to read it for my research. Thanks :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...

I'm uncertain if I've posted yet on these boards, but I'm certainly registered (didn't realize it until I attempted to register just now). HWB Joseph's Intro. to Logic is my favorite book on traditional logic and arguably my favorite book on logic, period. Anyway, I was wondering if the book mentioned in this thread has yet been turned into a PDF.

Quick question about this logic book by Joseph: Did Ayn Rand read it and draw any ideas from it? I know it is recommended by Binswanger, and someone also told me Peikoff recommends it. So I'm just curious if this is some book Ayn Rand personally learned logic from.

It is supposed to be an advanced logic text, and I believe this is noted on the Ayn Rand bookstore page for it. I have also been told by other members that Peikoff and Binswanger and others have said it is mostly for people that want to get real deep into it and understand the intro stuff well.

I am aware of another book that has been touted and advertised around here just as much. Apparently the professor is an Objectivist, he is in the process of writing and revising an Introduction to Logic textbook, and he seems to mostly be in the revision stage from what I remember. His name is Ben Bayer and the book is here: http://www.benbayer.com/

Click on the hyperlink "Introductory Logic Textbook" (in progress) for the PDF.

I have read the first 2 chapters and I have greatly enjoyed it so far.

CS thanks for that link. The guy gives away the first draft to his book for free, almost 400 pages. I thought there was something wrong first but I believe he is serious. The book is really good, and he just gives it away!? Strange, but I like it. I think this will help me alot.