Objectivism Online Forum

John McCain

Rate this topic

(emphasis added) That emphasized bit seems so true of McCain. He is a "centrist", who will deliver the country into the power of a single ideology.

S'nerd, there's certainly a great deal of validity to your statement. However, there are also some fairly substantial differences between McCain and Obama on critical issues. National defense and foreign policy, healthcare, taxes, government spending and judicial appointments, all come to mind as areas where there are major disagreements. While I don't find McCain's stances on these issues to be anywhere close to what I would like, they are far better than Obama's positions. Even when we talk about issues like the environment (where there appears to be little difference between the candidates), I think there's a better chance of influencing McCain's policies in a positive way than there is of influencing Obama's.

If Obama is elected and the Democrats control both houses of Congress, they can do a tremendous amount of damage to this country in 4 or 8 years.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are all the negatives of McCain I've gathered from this thread: he's a pragmatist, wants to restrict free speech, create gov't controls to suppress GW, ban abortions, allow ID to be taught in public schools.

These are the positives: he probably won't raise taxes as much as Hilary or Obama, doesn't advocate socialized healthcare, and is stronger on defense.

What am I missing?

McCain favors free trade more than either Obama or Hillary, he also has somewhat of a history of opposing government waste, nevertheless he's still a big spender. He would probably be marginally better on education policy as well. Strange, but given Obama's recent statements about religion and faith, McCain is likely the least religious of the two.

• 3 weeks later...
These are all the negatives of McCain I've gathered from this thread: he's a pragmatist, wants to restrict free speech, create gov't controls to suppress GW, ban abortions, allow ID to be taught in public schools.

...and that's the tip of the iceberg! That is what makes McCain so dangerous for this country.

The last thing this country needs is for its producing individuals to have to relinquish any more of their rights to government control.

These are the positives: he probably won't raise taxes as much as Hilary or Obama, doesn't advocate socialized healthcare, and is stronger on defense.

What am I missing?

What you are missing is really a negative- that McCain will continue the beyond-bankrupt policies of Bush in the Middle East. Those policies have served to destabilize that region, and also to wreak havoc upon our foreign relations with "free" Europe. As a result, our dollar has taken a pounding abroad, gas prices are insanely high and going higher, and those who heat their homes with oil are in for something more catastrophic than a rude awakening this winter.

At this point, in my view, the Republican party has betrayed America and should be thrown the hell out in the upcoming election.

At this point, in my view, the Republican party has betrayed America and should be thrown the hell out in the upcoming election.

You may very well get your wish. My question: is the cure worse than the disease?

Obama is casting a charismatic spell on younger voters, not unlike what JFK did back in 1960. He may well carry the day.

ruveyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hanoi Captor Endorses McCain, Denies Torture

(Newser) – John McCain’s Vietnam War jailer says he would vote for him because of McCain's willingness to forgive and look to the future, the AP reports. In the same breath, Tran Trong Duyet denied that McCain was tortured during his 5-year imprisonment and accused him of making up the stories to win votes. A retired Marine imprisoned with McCain spoke for the campaign and called Duyet “a damn liar.”

"If I were an American voter, I would vote for John McCain," said Duyet. "He's very loyal to the US military, to his beliefs, and to his country. In all of our debates, he never admitted that the war was a mistake." Duyet claims the two were friends, and that he spent off-duty time conversing with McCain.

My first reaction was even the commies are less leftist than the U.S. Democrats, but in the end it's just disgusting "Duyet claims the two were friends, and that he spent off-duty time conversing with McCain" Reminds me of the last emperor and it produces me some void in the stomach that's not hunger.