Objectivism Online Forum

Hello! My name is Dmitriy Belyanin

Rate this topic

Hello, everyone! My name is Dmitriy Belyanin and I am a business administration graduate student at KIMEP University in Almaty, Kazakhstan. I also have a Bachelor's degree in economics. I have a strong interest in economics and politics. I've read Atlas Shrugged in high school, and later read Anthem and excerpts from The Virtue of Selfishness and Capitalism, the New Ideal in college. I enjoy philosophical and political discussions.

Dmitriy and I were in high school together in Almaty, and both read (the same copy of) Atlas Shrugged in our senior year. We used to often discuss politics and economics, and Atlas Shrugged caused us to rethink our previous ideas.

Welcome to the forum, Dmitriy!

Interesting. Was all of that reading required by the school? Do many students in Kazakhstan read Ayn Rand? How about in college?

No, unfortunately. The reading was not required, but I was positively influenced by Tenzing Shaw. As a university student, I referred to Ayn Rand a couple of times in my discussions, particularly in criticizing environmentalism. I participated in several debates on that issue.

Nevertheless, I have been positively impressed by having translations of works of Ayn Rand being posted on the Internet. I have been reading "The Fountainhead" in Russian. I am on the second part of the novel. The book is interesting, but I am yet to grasp the motives of some characters, such as Dominique, who is a very mysterious character.

ARI has recently sponsored some discussion of Ayn Rand's novels. The most recent Q&A by Onkar Ghate is very good:

here

More can be found on this page of ARI's website. I've watched and listened to many of them, they are good, they take a little hunting though. Enjoy.

ARI has recently sponsored some discussion of Ayn Rand's novels. The most recent Q&A by Onkar Ghate is very good:

here

More can be found on this page of ARI's website. I've watched and listened to many of them, they are good, they take a little hunting though. Enjoy.

Thank you, Marc.