Objectivism Online Forum

Poetry and the Romantic Manifesto

Rate this topic

Myself

Does anyone know why Ayn Rand never included a section on poetry in the Romantic Manifesto? It always seemed like a glaring omission to me, seeing as how she apparently included every other form of art under the sun, from dancing to film making. Heck, she even included a section on music even though she admitted that she had no way to objectively judge it.

I've read elsewhere (where I can't remember at the moment) that Rand essentially didn't know anything about poetry and never really read much of it, which leads me to think she therefore had nothing to say on the subject.

Thoughts?

Edited by Myself

I've read elsewhere (where I can't remember at the moment) that Rand essentially didn't know anything about poetry and never really read much of it, which leads me to think she therefore had nothing to say on the subject.

I believe the quote to which you're referring is in Ayn Rand Answers. If I recall correctly, Rudyard Kipling's If was read at her funeral because she liked it, so though she didn't develop an Objectivist Poetics, we may have some insight into her "sense of life" regarding poetry.

I understand that Peikoff has a lecture on the poetry he likes, though that wouldn't necessarily tell us anything about Rand's personal views.

• 5 years later...