Objectivism Online Forum

Check List for the Future:Teleportation

Rate this topic

I don't think it's really "teleportation" as you seem to envision it, just the instant change in one particle caused by change in another.

I think this idea was looked at in Mass Effect 2, where they are capable of communicating across the galaxy in the manner described here.

Or I could be completely wrong.

I don't think it's really "teleportation" as you seem to envision it, just the instant change in one particle caused by change in another.

I think this idea was looked at in Mass Effect 2, where they are capable of communicating across the galaxy in the manner described here.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Your would be correct, it is not what most would call teleportation. Which the article points out quite clearly :lol:. It merely takes advantage of the ability for certain entities to share information in certain ways that seems to happen instantly. Is it really instantly fast though? No, not really. If A causes a change in B (and B is a seperate object ), some time must elapse, no matter how close to zero the duration of the event might be. I do not see how it is sensible to claim otherwise.

Also even if it were possible to somehow use this technology to "teleport" something besides photons and ions : There are a lot of of other difficulties in transporting people many other objects of roughly comprable mass / size.

Lets make the reasonable assumption that this teleportation device has a computer at both ends that manages the scanning of whatever is to be teleported and to manage the transmission of the information. And one at the other end to take the information received and to manage the process of using it to "reconstruct" the information into the desired form.

Consider that it would probably take multiple bits of information to "teleport" a single atom. Then consider that the average human consists of about 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms. That is 6.51925802 × 10 ^ 18 GBs of data, assuming each atom requires a single bit! It is going to be a lot more in the more realistiic situation where each atom requires multiple bits. Somehow the computer at the transmitting end needs to process all this information in a timely manner, then store it in memory ( or it might buffer only bits at a time before sending it off).

Then it needs to transmit it WITHOUT ANY SIGNIFICANT ERROR ( else you might reconstruct something at the other end quite different to what you "sent").

Then the receiving end has to process it all and it too has to either store the data in memory or buffer it while doing so. And then add on the fact that realistically you will probably want to check for transmission errors ( as is often done today when data is transmitted electronically) and then your adding even more processing demands...

I think it quickly becomes clear that most likely it is totally inconceivable that we will ever be able to economically "teleport" people using any technology yet dreamt of. So I wouldnt hold your breath that this will happen in the next few hundred years yet alone any of our lifetimes..<_<

Your would be correct, it is not what most would call teleportation. Which the article points out quite clearly :D. It merely takes advantage of the ability for certain entities to share information in certain ways that seems to happen instantly. Is it really instantly fast though? No, not really. If A causes a change in B (and B is a seperate object ), some time must elapse, no matter how close to zero the duration of the event might be. I do not see how it is sensible to claim otherwise.

Also even if it were possible to somehow use this technology to "teleport" something besides photons and ions : There are a lot of of other difficulties in transporting people many other objects of roughly comprable mass / size.

Lets make the reasonable assumption that this teleportation device has a computer at both ends that manages the scanning of whatever is to be teleported and to manage the transmission of the information. And one at the other end to take the information received and to manage the process of using it to "reconstruct" the information into the desired form.

Consider that it would probably take multiple bits of information to "teleport" a single atom. Then consider that the average human consists of about 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms. That is 6.51925802 × 10 ^ 18 GBs of data, assuming each atom requires a single bit! It is going to be a lot more in the more realistiic situation where each atom requires multiple bits. Somehow the computer at the transmitting end needs to process all this information in a timely manner, then store it in memory ( or it might buffer only bits at a time before sending it off).

Then it needs to transmit it WITHOUT ANY SIGNIFICANT ERROR ( else you might reconstruct something at the other end quite different to what you "sent").

Then the receiving end has to process it all and it too has to either store the data in memory or buffer it while doing so. And then add on the fact that realistically you will probably want to check for transmission errors ( as is often done today when data is transmitted electronically) and then your adding even more processing demands...

I think it quickly becomes clear that most likely it is totally inconceivable that we will ever be able to economically "teleport" people using any technology yet dreamt of. So I wouldnt hold your breath that this will happen in the next few hundred years yet alone any of our lifetimes..:)

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris." -- Orville Wright

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." -- Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

"There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." -- Albert Einstein

And the list goes on. I'm not saying that any of your reasons are invalid, they all seem pretty solid, but so did the reasons that the men listed above relied on in forming their conclusions. Never underestimate the power of human ingenuity. :D

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris." -- Orville Wright

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." -- Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

"There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." -- Albert Einstein

And the list goes on. I'm not saying that any of your reasons are invalid, they all seem pretty solid, but so did the reasons that the men listed above relied on in forming their conclusions. Never underestimate the power of human ingenuity. :dough:

True that. The point was that AT THE MOMENT this seems totally unrealistic. However, who knows whether it will in a hundred years of a thousand ....or whatever.