Objectivism Online Forum

The New Face Of Business Men? (blah!)

Rate this topic

Selfish

When I was pursuing my MBA at NYU a couple years ago there was a gay & lesbian club and special career fairs/events were held especially for them. Many companies apply typical affirmative action stuff to this, and it boggles my mind to think that companies would be more eager to hire me if I tell them, in effect, that "I want to stick my penis in another man's mouth or anus" as opposed to the traditional practice of not discussing at work what one likes doing with one's penis or vagina.

It was a difficult recruiting market in '03 for MBAs, and I wonder how many students joined organizations like that just to score more recruiting points under "diversity," to help them land a job. After all, nobody can determine if one is gay, or just pretending.

And that behavior, says Halpern, means being a metrosexual, which includes "fabulous communication skills, how they dress, their haircut and posture; if they are kinder and gentler, are consensus builders and have good emotional intelligence--traits traditionally associated with women. The kind of drive to get the result no matter what it takes no longer is acceptable if it translates into abusive behavior."

-from the article

Actually, it's not about sexuality in this case, but the way straight men carry themselves. Apparantly, it's becoming desirable for executives to be 'kinder, gentler, consensus builders with good emotional intelligence'

Oh, and let me guess, a better 'social responsibility' too right?

Blah!

Edit- Also, it makes me sad to think i'll be judged not by how well I do my job, but how nice my hair looks.

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with "metrosexuality". There are definitly traits that are more associated with women than men (for instance wearing makeup to imporve one's complexion), however the core of "metrosexuality" is not the adoption of such traits but rather just an integration of all aspects of one's life.

[A metrosexual is]a straight urban man who has become increasingly interested in appearance, grooming, home furnishings, the arts and food.

If that's one's definition of metrosexualtiy then I am proudly a metrosexual. I strive to integrate all the concrete aspects of my life with my abstract philosophy. I believe that it is only through such integration that one can truly be a complete person.

My problem is that somewhere in the sixties the average man took on the persona of being a bumbling idiot who didn't dress well; thought that life revolved around only friends, drinking beer, and watching sports; and whose wife was the "voice of reason" that really ruled the house. Now that men are starting to say "No, I'm not the club weilding caveman that feminism has successfully painted me as" the women are running scared. "What?" they might say "men starting to act like men!? We must do something!" So, they start painting the picture that these men are now adopting "womanly" traits in an attempt to try and make it seem that men still are the brutes they want us to be and not the sophisticated modern heros that men should be.

It is because of this that I find the entire "metrosexual" movement being focused on the "adoption of womanly traits" and not on the ressurection of "manly triats" an all out attack by feminists on my manhood and heroic nature. Instead I contend that by being a "metrosexual" I'm not being more like a woman but actually more like a man.