Objectivism Online Forum

Andy Bernstein In Denver

Rate this topic

dianahsieh

<A HREF="http://www.frontrangeobjectivism.com/frost.html">Front Range Objectivist Supper Talks</A> is pleased to announce its fifth and sixth events:

<B>Lecture on "Global Capitalism: The Cure for World Oppression and Poverty" by Andrew Bernstein on November 5, 2004 at University of Colorado, Boulder</B>

Although leftist agitators continue to protest global capitalism, they overlook the key points in the debate. In Europe, North America, and Asia, the capitalist nations are, by a wide margin, the wealthiest societies of history&mdash;with per capita incomes in the range of at least $20,000-$30,000 annually.

What are the deeper principles making possible the freedom and wealth enjoyed under capitalism&mdash;and lacking in its political antipodes? How has capitalism already greatly enhanced the lives of millions of human beings in formerly impoverished Third World countries? What can the men of the free world do to further promote the spread of capitalism into the repressed nations of the globe? These are the questions addressed in this talk.

This talk is jointly sponsored by the Boulder Campus Objectivist Club.

<I>More Details</I>

The "Global Capitalism" talk will be held at 7:00 pm at University of Colorado at Boulder, <A HREF="http://www.colorado.edu/directories/webmap/map.html?search=hale">Hale 270</A>. Anyone is welcome, particularly students and non-Objectivists who you think might be interested. No RSVP is required. Admission is free.

This event is co-sponsored by the <A HREF="http://www.colorado.edu/studentgroups/objectivists/">Boulder Objectivist Club</A>.

<B>Presentation on "How to Be an Impassioned Valuer" by Andrew Bernstein on November 6th, 2004 in Denver, Colorado</B>

The very next afternoon and evening, Saturday, November 6, 2004, we will have a four and a half hour FROST seminar and dinner with Andrew Bernstein on "How to Be an Impassioned Valuer."

Ayn Rand's fiction and non-fiction provide an answer to philosophy's central question: what is the meaning of life? Her answer: values are the meaning of life. Values&mdash;deeply cherished, indefatigably pursued, passionately celebrated&mdash;are what bring purpose and joy into human existence.

But some people have not yet identified those objects, activities or persons that can fill their lives with significance. Others, fascinated by numerous possibilities that life offers, have not prioritized their values into an effective hierarchy. How do I identify those things that will bring meaning into my life? How do I organize my personal pantheon of values into a hierarchy that maximizes my ability to achieve them? What is the rational principle of time management that optimizes value achievement?

These are the questions that this seminar addresses and answers.

<I>More Details</I>

The "How to Be an Impassioned Valuer" seminar will be hosted at the West Woods Golf Club at <A HREF="http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=IiShZep_0Tq8lLxdfUqLseYTn1ItZQwR8GZN&csz=Arvada%2C+CO&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=">6655 Quaker Street, Arvada, Colorado</A> (a suburb of Denver). The seminar will start at 2:00 pm and run for four and a half hours. A social hour and dinner will follow the seminar.

Reservations made <I>before</I> November 1st cost as follows:

<LI>Seminar only: $ 60

<LI>Dinner only: $ 35

<LI>Seminar and Dinner: $ 75

Reservations made <I>on or after</I> November 1st cost as follows:

<LI>Seminar only: $ 75

<LI>Dinner only: $ 45

<LI>Seminar and Dinner: $100

The special rate of $40 for the seminar and dinner is available for students.

Anyone is welcome, including interested non&mdash;Objectivists. Please contact Lin Zinser for details at <A HREF="mailto:lin(at)zinser.com">lin(at)zinser.com</A> or snail&mdash;mail your reservation and check to 8700 Dover Court, Arvada, CO 80005. You may also call her at 303.431.2525.

<I>About Andrew Bernstein</I>

Andrew Bernstein has published on a wide variety of philosophical and literary issues. Dr. Bernstein lectures regularly at American universities, speaking on a broad range of intellectual topics. He has given addresses at: Harvard University, Stanford University, the United States Military Academy at West Point, Northwestern University, the University of Michigan, the University of Chicago, the University of Wisconsin, Carnegie-Mellon University, Columbia University, and many others.

A popular lecturer and guest, he appears frequently on the radio on shows in Boston, Northern California, St. Louis, and Detroit among others, and has been a talk&mdash;radio guest host in Los Angeles. Discussions include such topics as the role of values in human life, the need for heroes in our society, the nature of a proper curriculum for our schools, and the application of philosophical principles to a broad array of cultural/political topics.

Dr. Bernstein teaches Philosophy at Pace University, the State University of New York at Purchase and formerly at Marymount College in Tarrytown, New York&mdash;which presented him its 'Outstanding Teacher' award in 1995. He has taught at Hunter College, Long Island University, and many other New York-area colleges. He lectures frequently at philosophy conferences all over the United States; additionally in Canada, England, Belgium, Norway, Hong Kong and Bermuda.

His op-ed essays have been published in such newspapers as <I>The San Francisco Chronicle</I>, <I>The Chicago Tribune</I>, <I>The Baltimore Sun</I>, <I>The Atlanta Constitution</I>, <I>The Washington Times</I>, <I>The Los Angeles Daily News</I>, <I>The Houston Chronicle</I> and many others.

<I>About FROST</I>

FROST is a new organization with the purpose of bringing national and internationally known speakers affiliated with the <A HREF="http://www.aynrand.org">Ayn Rand Institute</A> to the Denver metro area to speak on a variety of subjects. For further information about FROST, please view the <A HREF="http://www.frontrangeobjectivism.com/frost.html">FROST Page</A> or contact Lin Zinser at <A HREF="mailto:lin(at)zinser.com">lin(at)zinser.com</A>.