Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Rides...

Rate this topic

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to conclude, I am going to state again, but much more vociferously this time; I OWN A HARLEY MOTOR BIKE AND I'M GLAD I DO! Who cares if it's popular? ;)

I'll post pics when I have a couple.

Thanks for the story; it was fun to read!

Now, like SoftwareNerd said: make with the pictures! ;)

Thanks for the story; it was fun to read!

Now, like SoftwareNerd said: make with the pictures! :)

Yes...nothing wrong with hawgs...my brother in law is very much into them. Though, not, unfortunately, Objectivism. He used to work for Harley though, doing the custom bike paint jobs.

We drive a 2000 Durango, nothing fancy. However, this is my main ride:

VentureWWhite-Ral06-f.jpg

Oh wait...I have a whole set up...kinda like a rickshaw thing going hahah:

DSCF1040.jpg

That's my 6 year old daughter. She likes to sit in the trailer and take videos.

I am hoping to save up enough money to buy an old diesel Mercedes, something from perhaps the 75 to 85 time period and experiment with using waste veggie oil as fuel. I am quite fascinated by that whole thing.

I drive a Toyota Corolla. An '04. It gets me where I need to go, and at 41mpg hwy and without the stigma of a hybrid. It recently got caught in a hailstorm. Acorn sized hail. It got beat up something fierce. The insurance company is covering the repairs, though. It may be bland, but I like it a lot; it's hassle-free and very responsive. And it has my Ayn Rand Institute licence plate frame on the front.

-Q

I drive a Toyota Corolla. An '04. It gets me where I need to go, and at 41mpg hwy and without the stigma of a hybrid.

-Q

My first four tanks of gas on the Harley were 40, 40, 45, and 42 mpg respectively. Not too bad considering that the bike was mostly in the breaking in stage during the first three tanks.

Here's are some pics of my new baby!

I have some more story telling when I have more time.

Whoa. I'm naked with envy. Congratulations to the new papa. Definately something worth firing off a cigar for.

I especially like the Peace Officer Edition graphics. A great way to fly the colors so to speak.

Thank you kind sir! I took it out today with my son for a Father's Day ride. We ate lunch and rode back. A great time was had by all. (Note: that's not the story telling to which I was referring :( )

I drive a Toyota Corolla. An '04. It gets me where I need to go, and at 41mpg hwy and without the stigma of a hybrid.

Also without the $10,000 price premium. :( And 90% lower smug emissions. Smart choice!

Oh, BTW, I love that those things have a stigma now. Gives me hope.

Here's are some pics of my new baby!

Oooooo. Pretty.

Cool ride, man!

Edited by Inspector

Over Memorial Day weekend, I was driving around and got caught in a hailstorm. Grape and golfball sized hail. It trashed my hood, roof and trunk lid, and did some minor damage to all four fenders and three of the four doors. The storm also resulted in a minor collision (while I backed hastily into a garage) which damaged the back bumper. The insurance company interpreted them as two separate incidents, so I have to pay two deductables. <grrr> I took it to the body shop today and they loaned me a Mitsubishi Lancer. Not at all fun. But the body shop takes daily pictures of the car in progress, which is a nifty feature. In the first photo, you can almost make out my ARI license plate frame, which I forgot to take off. I hope they don't break it.

-Q

• 6 months later...

Well, I have a new ride. I've been riding my Gary Fisher Utopia to and from work and for small errands. However, a month ago I purchased a new ride. It's a CF Moto ECharm 150. Ok, so it's not a Harley that can do 150 and intimidate you with the idle. However, it does get around 90 mpg and it will go up to 70. Though above 50 or so I get a wee bit on the nervous side. Still, it's a blast around town and has enough frills like a remote start, alarm, and it's water cooled.

post-596-1167605980_thumb.jpg

Still, it's a blast around town and has enough frills like a remote start, alarm, and it's water cooled.

Remote start on a scooter? Not even the big scoots from Honda and Suzuki have that as an option. BTW, do you have to get a MC endorsment on your Texas DL for a 150cc?

My dad has a Burgman 650 which I got to test ride last spring. It's pretty plush and gets 50-55 MPG.

I probably would have gone for the Gold Wing over the HD for the "gadget factor", but the GW does not have that HD "vibe". :twisted:

This is almost identical to my '88 BMW R100GS. It's old, but I like it.

vp347891_1.jpg

Remote start on a scooter? Not even the big scoots from Honda and Suzuki have that as an option. BTW, do you have to get a MC endorsment on your Texas DL for a 150cc?
Yes, it does have a remote start. Which has come in handy these cold mornings. I double click the start button on the remote from inside my apartment and it starts. Amazing considering my covered parking is a good 100 feet away. The CF Moto's, especially the ECharm has a reputation of being the "Lexus" of the scooter set. My clients and coworkers from China recognize the bike straight away since CF is a big producer of bikes in China. And yes, you are supposed to have an MC endorsement for anything over 50 cc's. 50 and under you can get a "moped" endorsement which requires you to just ask for it.
My dad has a Burgman 650 which I got to test ride last spring. It's pretty plush and gets 50-55 MPG.

The Burgman's are really nice bikes with a TON of acceleration compared to my little 150. If I had need to go on the freeway more I'd have gone with something like that. But for my needs it does the job. For my money, if I had to ride a full blown motorcycle, the older R1000's are some of the most beautiful bikes. They can go anywhere.

I see a lot more small scooters around town, they're a good option for short errands and commuting - I'd like to see more scooter riders wearing protective gear though. I wince every time I see a scooter rider in shorts and sandals, I see the same thing with young guys on sport bikes.

I told my Dad to give me a call if he ever wanted to sell his Burgman. :twisted:

Edited by BryanG

I probably would have gone for the Gold Wing over the HD for the "gadget factor", but the GW does not have that HD "vibe". B)

I looked at the GW and it is a nice bike. I agree it wins hands down on the gadget factor. My biggest complaint was that it looks less like a motorcycle and more like spaceship. :twisted:

That said, I've always thought the BMW style sport touring bikes were pleasing to the eye and I'd like to ride one of those one day. It looks like a bike that says, "I can go anywhere I damn well please".

• 5 months later...

The revival of the faces topic reminded me of this topic. Heres mine, I bought it myself, before I was even legally old enough to drive it. And yes, I'm bragging. Its a 2000 Chrysler Sebring named Fransisco. :dough:

Night, rain, and running late: milenascamerajune07117.jpg

All other times:milenascamerajune07121.jpg

His name, part of the "O" fell off when I hit a fence: milenascamerajune07119.jpg

EDIT: links didn't work

Edited by kufa

My husband and I drive good ol' American gas guzzlers...Ford Explorer, Ford F150 and Harley Sportster (1200 Custom). Actually, my Explorer's message center informed me this week that I am getting 20.5 miles per gallon. Not bad for a 2 year old SUV.