Objectivism Online Forum

Teacher Compares Me To Hitler

Rate this topic

Praxus

Well my History teacher was talking about how great Unions are (note he is a member of the Union). I'm sitting there roling my eyes in an effort to contain myself. So he saw me and jokingly threatened to break my shins (how kind). Then later on he compared me and one of the non-union teachers at my school to Hitler. I didn't respond because needless to say I was not in the best of moods.

Any recomdations that would help me prevent myself from barging out of his room in an extreme fit of rage?

Well my History teacher was talking about how great Unions are (note he is a member of the Union).  I'm sitting there roling my eyes in an effort to contain myself.  So he saw me and jokingly threatened to break my shins (how kind). Then later on he compared me and one of the non-union teachers at my school to Hitler. I didn't respond because needless to say I was not in the best of moods.

Any recomdations that would help me prevent myself from barging out of his room in an extreme fit of rage?

I wouldn't leave that out as an option--if this incident will get in the way of your relationship to the teacher insofar as you are a student. But if this does not interfere with the class, there's no need to start a ruckus. There's a wise old proverb: sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

As a separate suggestion, you might want to befriend this non-union teacher you mentioned.

Well my History teacher was talking about how great Unions are (note he is a member of the Union).  I'm sitting there roling my eyes in an effort to contain myself.  So he saw me and jokingly threatened to break my shins (how kind). Then later on he compared me and one of the non-union teachers at my school to Hitler. I didn't respond because needless to say I was not in the best of moods.

Why do people take courses that they don't approve of, and from teachers that they don't approve of?

Would Howard Roark do that?

[Edit: I was writing this before you posted your last remark so this will be repetitive]

Don't write a complaint, it will be bad on your grades. You only have a few months left with this teacher until the end of the semester right? Get him back by doing everything right in your work and outsmarting him without agression in debate.

I get compared to Hitler at school, but not by teachers. Most of the drama students in my school are sophists. They tell me that there is no moral code but that which people choose, and that believing there is one moral code right for everyone is "Hitleresque." The drama teacher has had a very strong influence on them I believe.

Why do people take courses that they don't approve of, and from teachers that they don't approve of?

Would Howard Roark do that?

What kind of question is that?

And yes, by the way - all signs show that Howard Roark DID take courses he didn't approve of, with teachers he didn't approve of. Read The Fountainhead.

I get compared to Hitler at school, but not by teachers. Most of the drama students in my school are sophists. They tell me that there is no moral code but that which people choose, and that believing there is one moral code right for everyone is "Hitleresque." The drama teacher has had a very strong influence on them I believe.
The worst I have been called by someone my own age was a rascist , this was the result of me dismissing Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as biggots. I had a rather awkward encounter with a few of the blacks after class.

The level of irrationality astounds me.

What kind of question is that?

And yes, by the way - all signs show that Howard Roark DID take courses he didn't approve of, with teachers he didn't approve of. Read The Fountainhead.

Good Point;)

One option is to passively take it. Another is to object to his superiors -- I would strongly suggest that you get some mature help in crafting a grievance, so that your complaint is taken seriously. Rage isn't an appropriate response, and assuming that you are a minor and are compelled by law to attend school, would be a violation of the law which they can use to completely destroy your grievance. If you think it will go away, you are mistaken. This particular teacher may not cause you problems, but he is part of a system of prejudicial incivility where you are allowed to accuse someone of being a nazi or a racist, without providing proof.

BTW if this is a college professor, especially an untenured one, it can have extremely significant consequences. Letters of complaint to the departmental chair and college dean would be appropriate first steps. No matter who it is, everything is written, copies to superiors, and keep copies yourself. You will probably piss off some people, so decide if that matters.

In a situation like this, I think it's better to make sure your own behavior is above reproach. No rolling of eyes or giggling or anger. The professor would use that against you. If he does it again after a meaningful period of totally polite behavior on your part, then you might consider taking him on with the school management, and you can add the Hitler comment on top of your new complaint.

You could politely remind them that Nazis were moral relativists. That's one of the tools they used to gain and hold power. I'm sure I read this is in Ominous Parallels.

I say reengage the bastard, but record him, and then nail his ass to the wall with a lawsuit.