Objectivism Online Forum

O Canada CON?

Rate this topic

Zip

While I'm not sure how many Canadian Objectivists there are, or how many even visit this site I though I would ask if anyone would be interested in a Canadian version of the OCON event going on now south of the border.

Now I'm not suggesting that it would involve anything as extravagant as renting a floor in the Chateau Laurier (though given time it might be able to grow into that), hell I'd be happy with (and was actually thinking of) a weekend of camping by a nice lake somewhere, shooting the philosophical breeze with like minded people...

As for events, perhaps Paul McKeever could be convinced to host a lecture or something, and I'm sure there are passionate Canadian O'ists out there who could be convinced to give a short talk followed by a collaborative bull session on subjects near and dear to them.

Couple that with good food, beautiful scenery and stimulating people, or any combination thereof, and I'd say you have the makings of a really good time.

Let me know if your interested...

P.S. Our Objectivist friends wherever they may be from would be most welcome of course.

P.P.S. This is not intended in any way to compete with or detract from the actual OCON

Cheers,

Zip

Cross posted on FB and at my blog UNCOMMON SENSE

Edited by Zip

While I'm not sure how many Canadian Objectivists there are, or how many even visit this site I though I would ask if anyone would be interested in a Canadian version of the OCON event going on now south of the border.

Now I'm not suggesting that it would involve anything as extravagant as renting a floor in the Chateau Laurier (though given time it might be able to grow into that), hell I'd be happy with (and was actually thinking of) a weekend of camping by a nice lake somewhere, shooting the philosophical breeze with like minded people...

As for events, perhaps Paul McKeever could be convinced to host a lecture or something, and I'm sure there are passionate Canadian O'ists out there who could be convinced to give a short talk followed by a collaborative bull session on subjects near and dear to them.

Couple that with good food, beautiful scenery and stimulating people, or any combination thereof, and I'd say you have the makings of a really good time.

Let me know if your interested...

P.S. Our Objectivist friends wherever they may be from would be most welcome of course.

P.P.S. This is not intended in any way to compete with or detract from the actual OCON

Cheers,

Zip

Cross posted on FB and at my blog UNCOMMON SENSE

Yes given reasonable cost. I do consider OCON every year but I can't justify it's high cost. It would take away most of my yearly vacation budget which is unacceptable to me - I want to spend some if not most of it vacationing with my son.

Slightly off-topic but thanks for the link to your blog.

Looks good, I'll be checking it out when I get a bit of time.

Thanks QV. :D

Man, that sounds like a lot of fun! If it's not too expensive, I'd love to join in!

Hey, Thaconos what part of Ottawa are you from? I'm assuming the West end because you are an Algonquin Student (I was too, I got my Home Inspection Certificate last year).

Good to see another Canadian O'ist here.

Honestly I don't have a clue how to organize something like that but I'd give it a shot if enough people are interested.

It wouldn't happen this year though.

I guess I'd start thinking of a location. I would really prefer for it to be on private property or in a privately owned independent campground. I'm thinking Southern Ontario, somewhere along the great lakes maybe? With a city nearby. With some history, culture and art...

If you want someone to speak from ARI, you should try to get an Oist club formed at a local university, or find an existing club. ARI will then be willing to send out speakers for such events.

If it's close enough to the US, I might try to head out there. (that is, if Americans are allowed :P)

Edited by brian0918