Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Lectures

JayR

The time has come to purchase a new lecture series from the AR bookstore, Im looking for input. Im thinking about "Unity in Epist. and Ethics" by Peikoff, has anyone completed it? Or perhaps something on induction, does anyone have a hands down favorite, a real must have? the one with the most "ah ha" moments? Some are quite expensive as you know, any suggestions for getting a bang for my buck are appreciated.

I recently finished "The Objective vs. the Intrinsic and the Subjective" by Binswanger and I just finished "Moral Rights and Metaphysical Law" by Craig Biddle.

also, Im leaning toward epistemology/ethics more than politics.

j..

Im thinking about "Unity in Epist. and Ethics" by Peikoff, has anyone completed it?

I've listened to it. Some parts are better than others. The lecture on dual definitions was good, as was the one on whether morality is easy or hard to practice. I was less impressed with the one exploring how everything is interconnected.

Rr perhaps something on induction, does anyone have a hands down favorite, a real must have? the one with the most "ah ha" moments? Some are quite expensive as you know, any suggestions for getting a bang for my buck are appreciated.

At this point I'd say that the most "bang for the buck" work on induction in the Objectivist corpus isn't a lecture at all: it's David Harriman's new book The Logical Leap: Induction in Physics. It's based on Peikoff's lecture course on the same topic, but you can pick up the book for eleven bucks at Amazon.

I'm leaning toward epistemology/ethics more than politics.

Have you listened to Greg Salmieri's course Objectivist Epistemology in Outline? If not, I highly recommend it.

I've listened to it. Some parts are better than others. The lecture on dual definitions was good, as was the one on whether morality is easy or hard to practice. I was less impressed with the one exploring how everything is interconnected.

Thanks for the input, this is what Im looking for.

At this point I'd say that the most "bang for the buck" work on induction in the Objectivist corpus isn't a lecture at all: it's David Harriman's new book The Logical Leap: Induction in Physics. It's based on Peikoff's lecture course on the same topic, but you can pick up the book for eleven bucks at Amazon.

Yeah, I had already decided on the book, Ive had my eye on that one just waiting for a while now. Have you finished it yet?

Have you listened to Greg Salmieri's course Objectivist Epistemology in Outline? If not, I highly recommend it.

As a matter of fact, that was my next choice after "Unity..". Ive never bought anything by Salmieri, but Ive heard hes good.

Yeah, I had already decided on the book, Ive had my eye on that one just waiting for a while now. Have you finished it yet?

Not yet. I'm a little ways into chapter 2. It may take me a while as I don't have a whole lot of free time. (I still haven't read Winning the Unwinnable War, and I'm a full year behind on TOS.)

The time has come to purchase a new lecture series from the AR bookstore, Im looking for input. Im thinking about "Unity in Epist. and Ethics" by Peikoff, has anyone completed it? Or perhaps something on induction, does anyone have a hands down favorite, a real must have? the one with the most "ah ha" moments? Some are quite expensive as you know, any suggestions for getting a bang for my buck are appreciated.

I recently finished "The Objective vs. the Intrinsic and the Subjective" by Binswanger and I just finished "Moral Rights and Metaphysical Law" by Craig Biddle.

also, Im leaning toward epistemology/ethics more than politics.

j..

If you are interested in validating Objectivism inductively then I recommend Objectivism Through Induction by Leonard Peikoff. That course blew me away. I was about to recommend Peikoff's Induction in Physics and Philosophy, but since The Logical Leap is out now, I see no reason for that. I have read parts of The Logical Leap in The Objective Standard. I think it will be an awesome book, I think you will get a lot of "bang for your buck".

• 1 month later...

Harriman's book has been out for a while now.

I am curious, has anyone that has listened to the Objectivism Through Induction and also read The Logical Leap say if the two offer similar material, or differ significantly enough to recommend having both in one's library?

Thanks.

Harriman's book has been out for a while now.

I am curious, has anyone that has listened to the Objectivism Through Induction and also read The Logical Leap say if the two offer similar material, or differ significantly enough to recommend having both in one's library?

Thanks.

They do not offer similar material. OTI is about how you can inductively validate Objectivism. TLL is a long argument on why and how induction in general works but it does not give you much practical advice. I would buy both. But it depends on what you want. If you want an argument about induction in general, then I would only buy TLL. If you want to know how to inductively validate Objectivism then I would only buy OTI.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Just receive the OTI lecture Thursday. I had acquired the Logical Leap shortly after its release.

This is going to be an interesting challenge. Had not considered that Objectivism could be approached as a 'rationalist' before. This is going to be an interesting challenge.