Objectivism Online Forum

Considerations when choosing a career between two fields?

Rate this topic

I know there's a topic concerning career choices, however mine is slightly different.

Suppose you are interested in two fields, both of which you're passionate about. But they're the exact opposite in terms of work, what you do etc. How would you go about in making a decision?

For instance, I'm studying Electrical Engineering and I love it. It's fascinating and intriguing (annoyingly hard at times too), plus I know there's a job waiting for me when I finish the degree (plus I can also work abroad with the degree, something I would like to do). However I'm also very much interested in film making/directing and I really like the idea of putting my creativity onto a screen in such a way. I have no experience in terms of film directing (the only thing close would be photography), yet I always find myself imagining and creating movies/story lines in my mind, or writing them down. I know I'm good at creating story lines since over the years I've seen new movies come out with similar story lines to mine (Inception is a good example).

In sticking with Engineering, I'll still be doing something that I like/am interested in, however I still see a need to further my creative side. However if I go with film directing, I'll be taking a big risk since it's not guaranteed that you'll succeed and it seems to take a lot of effort and money into creating a quality film. So that's how I've reasoned it out to myself, go with the one and have a guaranteed job, or go with the other and take a risk. I'd hate to take the risk and wind up 20 years later with only a few meager films.

A friend suggested that while I can still study/work in Engineering, I could also pursue film making as a side hobby, which is a good idea. But a part of me thinks that if I'm going to stick with something, then I may as well put all my energy and effort into it.

Edited by Altan

Well it's a tough decision and obviously no one can make it for you.

I notice you have kind of adopted the common view that science-based subjects aren't creative. I personally think the opposite. Scientific innovation can be the pinnacle of a mind's creativity. My point being that there would be a lot of room for creativity in electrical engineering. What was it that made you choose electrical engineering in the first place?

Also, which one is it that interests you in particular, directing the films or writing them? From what you said, it sounds like you are perhaps more towards the script-writing side than the directing side? The director doesn't generally get to invent the story/dialogue/etc, but they do have to bring it to life. Very different jobs imo.

A friend suggested that while I can still study/work in Engineering, I could also pursue film making as a side hobby, which is a good idea.

Well you have to work out what your motivations are for each of your options, and then look at them and work out which ones you actually value the most highly. It is not necessarily a matter of one or the other. You can value you both, and if so, your attention to each should probably be proportional to how much you value them. That's where the hobby thing comes into being.

Lastly, you don't have to do one single occupation for your entire life. If you do get bored or fed up with one, you can change careers. Maybe you don't want to be studying again when you're in your 30s but realistically, your age doesn't matter a whole lot. If you are passionate about it, you'll be good. If you are good, you will find work.

I probably haven't helped much :worry: but good luck!

p.s. This isn't just prompted by seeing Inception is it? That made me want to make a film as amazing myself. Excellence inspires excellence. :D

I notice you have kind of adopted the common view that science-based subjects aren't creative. I personally think the opposite. Scientific innovation can be the pinnacle of a mind's creativity. My point being that there would be a lot of room for creativity in electrical engineering. What was it that made you choose electrical engineering in the first place?

You're definitely right that areas in science offer great room for creativity, just that I also have a tendency to lean to the 'artistic' side (hence the interest in film making). What made me choose EE was my passion in technology and understanding how such devices worked, how they can be built etc..

Also, which one is it that interests you in particular, directing the films or writing them? From what you said, it sounds like you are perhaps more towards the script-writing side than the directing side? The director doesn't generally get to invent the story/dialogue/etc, but they do have to bring it to life. Very different jobs imo.

If it came to it, I'd like to do both, so write the script and direct. But I guess I could settle for either.

Well you have to work out what your motivations are for each of your options, and then look at them and work out which ones you actually value the most highly. It is not necessarily a matter of one or the other. You can value you both, and if so, your attention to each should probably be proportional to how much you value them. That's where the hobby thing comes into being.

That's a good point!

I probably haven't helped much :worry: but good luck!

p.s. This isn't just prompted by seeing Inception is it? That made me want to make a film as amazing myself. Excellence inspires excellence. :D

Your advice was helpful:)

And it kinda was prompted by seeing Inception ;) I've thought about this for quite some time and it keeps on coming back to me.

My first question is always, "What about the money?" You don't want to choose yourself into poverty.

Also, you can always switch careers later. Stick with the fulfilling money-maker right now and pursue writing/directing as a hobby for a while to see if you continue to like it. All the while you will be making money (and presumably saving), making the transition (if you choose) all the easier later on.

IMO, the "see if you like it" approach while supporting yourself is the best. You are able to solidify (or dissolve) your interest in anything safely, over time. No, "Oh my god, my life savings is gone! Oh my god, my car payments are so high, I never realized! Oh my god, I'm moving back to my parents'! Oh my god, this really isn't fun at all, what was I thinking that single month when I decided to quite my fulfilling job?"

It should be noted that Hollywood unions are intrusive in a thousand ways on the associated professions.

If your focus is writing and not directing, knowing the right people is likely going to be more important than how much time you spend training for and working in the industry. In other words, you can write a screenplay while you're earning a regular salary as an engineer. But, it is important if you do that, that you have an outlet to sell your work. You will need connections. I don't think it would be out of place to suggest you take a screenwriting course or two from your local university. There, you will establish if you really have the skill you think you do; and if the professor believes you have promise they may be able to market your work or direct you to the right people. Try to find a professor who has experience in the industry, however. I am not a screenwriter myself, but I minored in creative writing in school and took screenwriting classes and my professor was a veteran of the industry with 20 years of experience including writing for Star Trek; it was invaluable.

My first question is always, "What about the money?" You don't want to choose yourself into poverty.

That's a big concern if I go with film.

Also, you can always switch careers later. Stick with the fulfilling money-maker right now and pursue writing/directing as a hobby for a while to see if you continue to like it. All the while you will be making money (and presumably saving), making the transition (if you choose) all the easier later on.

I figured that that would be the best and most reasonable choice. I just don't want to look back one day and regret it all.

If your focus is writing and not directing, knowing the right people is likely going to be more important than how much time you spend training for and working in the industry. In other words, you can write a screenplay while you're earning a regular salary as an engineer. But, it is important if you do that, that you have an outlet to sell your work. You will need connections. I don't think it would be out of place to suggest you take a screenwriting course or two from your local university. There, you will establish if you really have the skill you think you do; and if the professor believes you have promise they may be able to market your work or direct you to the right people. Try to find a professor who has experience in the industry, however. I am not a screenwriter myself, but I minored in creative writing in school and took screenwriting classes and my professor was a veteran of the industry with 20 years of experience including writing for Star Trek; it was invaluable.

You're definitely right about knowing the 'right people'. Good thing that you mentioned to take a screenwriting course though, since my university does offer one, I'll have to email the professor since it seems to be full (2nd semester starts next week here).

It seems that the safest choice is to stick with what I'm currently doing and see how I go with film as a side hobby/interest over the years.

It seems that the safest choice is to stick with what I'm currently doing and see how I go with film as a side hobby/interest over the years.

Added thought: "Safest Choice" has a negative stigma because people believe, as you mentioned, that it necessarily means missing out on something better (or extraordinary). I would say, "Sure, maybe," if you have always been very passionate about something but have never gathered the courage to pursue it. Otherwise, I would personally choose "safe" over "not safe" -- consider: it is possible that you could regret pursuing a career in film, instead. You can "only" make your best choice based on what you know right now.

Stick with the fulfilling money-maker right now and pursue writing/directing as a hobby for a while to see if you continue to like it. All the while you will be making money (and presumably saving), making the transition (if you choose) all the easier later on.

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree here. If you really wanted to pursue a particular creative field, to me it would make more sense to have at least some serious study and education already done so that you can then build upon it. If you need more money, then you get a job, but this way you still have the advantage of a foundation to build upon.

That said, given that Altan has already completed some of his degree in Engineering, and he does enjoy it, then it probably would make much more sense to complete this degree first, and then build upon that.

Added thought: "Safest Choice" has a negative stigma because people believe, as you mentioned, that it necessarily means missing out on something better (or extraordinary). I would say, "Sure, maybe," if you have always been very passionate about something but have never gathered the courage to pursue it. Otherwise, I would personally choose "safe" over "not safe" -- consider: it is possible that you could regret pursuing a career in film, instead. You can "only" make your best choice based on what you know right now.

I've wondered whether this is just some fleeting passion/interest, but it's best to get into the field somewhat and see for myself. It seems that it's far more rational to continue with what I'm doing now, guarantee myself financial security and then see what my options are.

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree here. If you really wanted to pursue a particular creative field, to me it would make more sense to have at least some serious study and education already done so that you can then build upon it. If you need more money, then you get a job, but this way you still have the advantage of a foundation to build upon.

That said, given that Altan has already completed some of his degree in Engineering, and he does enjoy it, then it probably would make much more sense to complete this degree first, and then build upon that.

You're right that it would make sense to have some study in the field, and I'd recommend this for anything since if you don't then you're just going out blind. I've read though that it isn't necessary or required to have a degree in film making/directing, that you can get what you need through experience. Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) is a good example (from what I've read).