Objectivism Online Forum

College Concentration

Rate this topic

I'm planning on becoming a poet and a writer——despite these being contemporary-indie vocations, I'm set on publishing poetry, short fiction, and a novel. In order to achieve this, I think an English degree would, out of other several degree opportunities, benefit my desire the most: an English degree can be functional in other careers too. Nevertheless, I still have the decision of other credits and electives in college: I've decided to either minor in Philosophy and take electives, or shall I minor in another subject and take philosophy as an elective?

Many of the schools that I've already prospected have great philosophy classes. The only problem is, though, the curriculum they teach. I don't want to learn the philosophies of modern philosophers Hume, Kant, and Descartes; I'm interested in a class with Aristotle, but not the former. I don't care for philosophical history, nor the philosophy of science (it sounds interesting, actually). I don't know what classes I'd like to take in philosophical courses because of the hindrance of being under a teacher or class who isn't worth the tuition I've paid for, and that hindrance grows darker in my mind because of the ignorance of Objectivism in philosophy classes.

So, any idea to the question in bold? The former paragraph was my justification. I'm still in high-school, but I'm sending my transcripts and scores for review soon.

(Also, if you can, raise a point of my English major decision coupling with another suitable major to help job prospects. I'd like a return on my college investment, you know?)

I'm planning on becoming a poet and a writer——despite these being contemporary-indie vocations, I'm set on publishing poetry, short fiction, and a novel. In order to achieve this, I think an English degree would, out of other several degree opportunities, benefit my desire the most: an English degree can be functional in other careers too. Nevertheless, I still have the decision of other credits and electives in college: I've decided to either minor in Philosophy and take electives, or shall I minor in another subject and take philosophy as an elective?

Many of the schools that I've already prospected have great philosophy classes. The only problem is, though, the curriculum they teach. I don't want to learn the philosophies of modern philosophers Hume, Kant, and Descartes; I'm interested in a class with Aristotle, but not the former. I don't care for philosophical history, nor the philosophy of science (it sounds interesting, actually). I don't know what classes I'd like to take in philosophical courses because of the hindrance of being under a teacher or class who isn't worth the tuition I've paid for, and that hindrance grows darker in my mind because of the ignorance of Objectivism in philosophy classes.

So, any idea to the question in bold? The former paragraph was my justification. I'm still in high-school, but I'm sending my transcripts and scores for review soon.

(Also, if you can, raise a point of my English major decision coupling with another suitable major to help job prospects. I'd like a return on my college investment, you know?)

Well, if you just want to read/learn about ancient philosophy, I am sure that there is a minor out there that studies classical literature in general that will run you through most of the major philosophers and thinkers of that era. In the end it would most likely expose you to things that are more in line with your goal of being an artist.

I am not sure what it is called though since that isn't my thing ( I am a computer science major)