Objectivism Online Forum

"Inception" analysis and questions

Rate this topic

Personally I figured he was dreaming, and that Mel's suicide actually got her back to reality.

I mean, they stay in the final dream for fifty years - then get killed by a train and returned to the past level, which Mel claims is still a dream and therefor she pushes for another suicide.

Now considering that time becomes like x-time slower per dream, would it not seem obvious that if they where 50 years in the first dream, they would not return to reality by just going back one level?

Normally death in any level of dreams brings you all the way back to reality. During the dreaming in the main part of the reality it only didn't work that way because they were very heavily sedated.

This is what happened. They were in fact back in reality after the 50 year dream. With this movie it is very important you pay attention to the details otherwise you can get the entire thing wrong. Everything was explained in the movie. :)

Edited by CapitalistSwine

No way, he's still asleep. Isn't a bit far-fetched that his plan gets pulled off so perfectly (in the end), and that a single-phone call from a Japanese businessman allows him to bypass American customs? Also, his kids have not aged and are wearing the same clothes that they are in his memories.

There have been quite a few write ups on this across the net. This answer you have given, with these details, has been specifically debunked many a time. They even went out of their way to use a different, older set of girls for actresses if I remember correctly...I am about to log off for the night but I can fetch you some links tomorrow.

That's definitely interesting, but that's not the kind of thing a director would assume the audience will notice. It seems more likely to me that the use of different actors is a result of child labor laws, and the different shoes were a mistake. I could be wrong. If he is awake, he must have given that top one hell of a spin, b/c it goes for a while.

That's definitely interesting, but that's not the kind of thing a director would assume the audience will notice. It seems more likely to me that the use of different actors is a result of child labor laws, and the different shoes were a mistake. I could be wrong. If he is awake, he must have given that top one hell of a spin, b/c it goes for a while.

The top has little to do with anything, other than a symbol of the status of his relationship with his wife. To think otherwise is to not only ignore several comments made within the movie itself about his relationship with his wife but also regarding how the totems work, among other elements of the movie. Perhaps this is more difficult for people to catch who have not seen the film multiple times, as I have.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind the different actors. if it were to child labor laws...they wouldn't be able to use the younger children in the first place. Rather, they used two sets of 2 children, with one set being just 2 or 3 years older, neither set being very old. The daughter, Phillipa, is credited as being both 3 and 5 years old, while the son, James, is credited as being both 20 months and 3 years old. While it is a subtle difference it does suggest that there is a difference between the remembered event and the one at the end of the film. Further, while it may look like they are wearing the same clothes, according to Inception's costume designer they are indeed wearing different clothes.

But The Playlist has uncovered an interview with Inception costume designer Jeffrey Kurland who claims that, even though they may not seem different, the kids clothes are in fact not the same. He insists, “the children’s clothing is different in the final scene… look again…”

http://clothesonfilm.com/inception-jeffrey-kurland-costume-qa/14317/

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't make head nor tail of it myself. I watched it after work while I was tired and I don't think I was prepared to watch something so complicated. I was expecting a more straight-forward sci-fi/action film.

Reading some of the posts on the first page, it seems my interpretation of it was fairly close. Thanks for going in depth, guys!

Not meaning to insult anyone who found this movie to be in someway original or profound but I found Southpark's parody of it "Insheeption" Season 14, ep10 to be much more intelligent than the movie itself.

Someone I know compared Inception to The DaVinci Code saying "the entirety of this movie's success lies in that it is convoluted enough to allow stupid people to feel smart for "getting" it".

Rarely do I accuse something of "trying too hard" but this movie fits perfectly. I found it tedious, obvious and hamfisted. Although unlike some here I thought the explosions were rather well done.

Not meaning to insult anyone who found this movie to be in someway original or profound but I found Southpark's parody of it "Insheeption" Season 14, ep10 to be much more intelligent than the movie itself.

Someone I know compared Inception to The DaVinci Code saying "the entirety of this movie's success lies in that it is convoluted enough to allow stupid people to feel smart for "getting" it".

Rarely do I accuse something of "trying too hard" but this movie fits perfectly. I found it tedious, obvious and hamfisted. Although unlike some here I thought the explosions were rather well done.

It is entirely possible. However, then I must ask some questions. 1. Why bother doing that whole thing with the wedding ring, which I can't see as not being on purpose. 2. Why bother to get 2 new actors for the kids. 3. I thought The DaVinci Code was retarded, I am definitely with you on that one. I had read the book as part of a requirement for one of my High School English classes before seeing the movie as well. 4. What about his other movie Memento. What about the idea that (I read this on an extremely lengthy blog somewhere by what seemed to be some level of professional movie critic, I could attempt to find it again but it is likely I will have little luck in doing so....that many of his movies have a single overarching theme between them and that if this is the case with this movie it would fit well with several of the most plausible alternative plot suggestions)I believe the main comparison with the underlying, "hidden" theme/overarching point to be made was with his early movie The Following. Unfortunately I am having a very difficult time at this exact moment trying to remember what this point actually was. :(

It is entirely possible. However, then I must ask some questions. 1. Why bother doing that whole thing with the wedding ring, which I can't see as not being on purpose. 2. Why bother to get 2 new actors for the kids. 3. I thought The DaVinci Code was retarded, I am definitely with you on that one. I had read the book as part of a requirement for one of my High School English classes before seeing the movie as well. 4. What about his other movie Memento. What about the idea that (I read this on an extremely lengthy blog somewhere by what seemed to be some level of professional movie critic, I could attempt to find it again but it is likely I will have little luck in doing so....that many of his movies have a single overarching theme between them and that if this is the case with this movie it would fit well with several of the most plausible alternative plot suggestions)I believe the main comparison with the underlying, "hidden" theme/overarching point to be made was with his early movie The Following. Unfortunately I am having a very difficult time at this exact moment trying to remember what this point actually was. :(

Did you intend these questions for me or did you hit reply on the wrong post?