Objectivism Online Forum

E.R. - Emergency Response

Rate this topic

zuke

If an objective government and economy were in place, and there were independent business and insurance companies. How would the Emergency Response part of the hospital be coordinated. Ambulance, helicopters, etc.—would this just be a branch of the fire dep., Police, that could be funded by unforced tax?

I could see if it were in an area where a fee is required to enter, such as a national park, where you were needed to be rescued by the rescue service( where they could be funded by the fee).

But for instance, if I were to get a major injury, in public or my own property--say front yard mowing grass, perhaps unconscious-- (I had insurance and money to afford the operation, but unable to inform you or anyone) And I needed immediate medical attention, how would something like this operate?

My first guess would be to, operate/rescue/heli rescue/whatever.., and if or when you came too. Bill you the cost. If you had insurance, la de da you pay your premium; if you don’t or couldn’t afford it you would be put into debt.

Any thoughts or old thoughts on this?

-I am new to the forum,

Welcome to the forum, Zuke.

If an objective government and economy were in place, and there were independent business and insurance companies. How would the Emergency Response part of the hospital be coordinated. Ambulance, helicopters, etc.—would this just be a branch of the fire dep., Police, that could be funded by unforced tax?

Private hospital, private ambulance (either of whom may have their own helicopters). It would be up to them how to best serve the interests of their owners.

I could see if it were in an area where a fee is required to enter, such as a national park, where you were needed to be rescued by the rescue service( where they could be funded by the fee).

No national parks in an objective government and economy. All parks would be privately owned. You might make your decision about which parks to visit based upon their emergency response abilities and record.

But for instance, if I were to get a major injury, in public or my own property--say front yard mowing grass, perhaps unconscious-- (I had insurance and money to afford the operation, but unable to inform you or anyone) And I needed immediate medical attention, how would something like this operate?

You must first realize that in an objective society, there is no such thing as "public property." If you had a heart attack at a mall, for example, the owners of the mall might have an emergency medical team on staff (in fact, this could be a benefit the mall uses in its marketing). If you have a heart attack on your own property, hope that someone sees you, or you have a medical alert system - pretty much the way things work now.

My first guess would be to, operate/rescue/heli rescue/whatever.., and if or when you came too. Bill you the cost. If you had insurance, la de da you pay your premium; if you don’t or couldn’t afford it you would be put into debt.

Yes.

How would the Emergency Response part of the hospital be coordinated.
Most efficiently, there would need to be a medical doctor who is the chief of the ER, to whom all ER personnel report, and who reports to the chief of the hospital. Depending on the size of the hospital, there might be intermediate supervisors.
Ambulance, helicopters, etc.—would this just be a branch of the fire dep.
No, those are separate functions. Particular hospitals don't have their own ambulances; rather, some number of ambulance services would work in an area, and various criteria would determine which hospital they would take patients to (such as, urgency, distance, nature of the emergency, patient preference). The fire department has nothing to do with it (except because of ancient historical accident).
The way it usually works is, someone sees you lying on the ground, bleeding, and they surmise that there's a problem. So they call 911 (in the US) and rescue workers rescue your sorry ass. In a free society, it's fair to assume that at least one special emergency number would exist, and they would dispatch some ambulance company, depending on the information that you provide (somewhere between "he's just lying there, I don't know what's wrong" to "he's had 3 heart attacks in the past and it looks like he's having another"). It could be quasi-random, if distance and traffic between an ambulance station and you didn't give an advantage to Speedy Rescue over Swifty Rescue. Paying is the same as it is now.