Objectivism Online Forum

The Islamic Republic Of Afghanistan

Rate this topic

From the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan's Constitution:

Article Sixty-three Ch. 3, Art. 4

The President-elect, prior to resumption of his/her duties, performs the following oath of allegiance in the presence of members of the National Assembly and the chief justice:

"In the name Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate

In the name God Almighty, in the presence of you representatives of the nation of Afghanistan, I swear to obey and safeguard the provisions of the sacred religion of Islam, to observe the Constitution and other laws of Afghanistan and supervise their implementation; to safeguard the independence, national sovereignty, and the territorial integrity of Afghanistan and the fundamental rights and interests of the people of Afghanistan, and with the assistance of God and the support of the nation, to make great and sincere efforts for the happiness and progress of the people of Afghanistan."

God and Democracy: the face of the future.

Next stop on the 'forward strategy of freedom' tour: Iraq.

• 1 month later...

It's amazing what a little "freedom" will do for an Islamic Republic like Afghanistan. Rather than focusing their efforts on eradicating the Taliban resistance and finding al Qaeda, they have decided, instead, to wage a holy war on the rights of poppy growers.

Opium cultivation, heroin production is more dangerous than the invasion and the attack of the Soviets on our country, it is more dangerous than the factional fighting in Afghanistan, it is more dangerous than terrorism ... Just as our people fought a holy war against the Soviets, so we will wage jihad against poppies.

What is this guy smoking? Opium cultivation is more dangerous than terrorism?

Apparently America is smoking the same substance as Karzai, because Bush plans to join Karzai's jihad by spending over $700 million next year "helping" Afghanistan's farmers turn away from growing opium poppies.

Somehow our war on terror in Afghanistan has turned into a war on heroin.

Karzai Declares War on Afghan Narcotics

Apparently America is smoking the same substance as Karzai, because Bush plans to join Karzai's jihad by spending over $700 million next year "helping" Afghanistan's farmers turn away from growing opium poppies.

I wish they'd quit wasting my money on it. The Taliban gravitates towards drug sales for the same reason that this happens everywhere; local gangsters/outlaws naturally get involved in lucrative illegal activites. If they'd stop persucuting the farmers and let them grow whatever they wish, we won't have to worry about them getting mixed up with the Taliban. Obviously, we learned absolutely zip from Prohibition in our own country.

The problem with bringing democracy to these nations is that it's merely the means of filling the chairs in your government. It says little or nothing about the government's content or guiding principles.

However, I did see a show on the Afghan constitutional meetings recently, and saw an interesting confrontation between and educated Afghan and some guy from a remote tribal region. The tribal guy said (roughly) "There are women here, you must throw them out!" and the educated guy said something like "Brother, individual rights mean we can't do that". I was surprised to hear the principle even mentioned. That's a start.

In the name God Almighty, in the presence of you representatives of the nation of Afghanistan, I swear to obey and safeguard the provisions of the sacred religion of Islam, to observe the Constitution and other laws of Afghanistan and supervise their implementation; to safeguard the independence, national sovereignty, and the territorial integrity of Afghanistan and the fundamental rights and interests of the people of Afghanistan..etc.

Actually it sounds like it should be a preamble to a Taliban constitution. And what if the rights and interest of the people of Afghanistan conflict with the "provisions of the sacred religion of Islam"... I wonder who will win?