Objectivism Online Forum

Intersting article on African Aid

Rate this topic

emanon

http://bigthink.com/ideas/21626

Sets forth the idea that America should stop giving financial aid to Africa. One of the interviewees had this to say:

The problem with aid is that it's essentially giving free money to somebody with no recourse, says Moyo: “It means that the incentive structure it introduces is a very negative incentive structure. You can steal that money and have no recourse. You can use that money for non-productive activities and there’s no penalty. There’s no punishment. You don’t lose office. You don’t end up in jail.”

Of course, the "Government Advisor" remains completely in favor of the aid despite the corruption and destabilization of any economy or possible government which it results in...

Not exactly an in-depth discussion there, or anything new really. It is quite clear from all the available evidence that government aid to Africa is not only immoral but counter-productive. For more info, this interview with the author is much more detailed, http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/1112/full

I found #6 quite interesting too, I've been saying that the UK government has had an utterly irrational policy on University for a long time.

Can you clarify for me what you mean by #6?

The 6th comment in the article you linked? The sixth comment by a specific author? etc

Thanks

The 6th "dangerous idea" the site lists, namely that many people are going to university when few actually need it. In the UK the government looked at the fact that people who went to university earned much more, on average, and concluded that getting more people to go to university would raise living standards rather than simply dilute standards.

The 6th "dangerous idea" the site lists, namely that many people are going to university when few actually need it. In the UK the government looked at the fact that people who went to university earned much more, on average, and concluded that getting more people to go to university would raise living standards rather than simply dilute standards.

Oh, sorry. Gotcha. I agree with you.