Objectivism Online Forum

An Introduction

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. :) My name's Jeffrey, and I wanted to post a personal introduction for anyone that is interested.

Intellectually, I've grown tremendously over the last few years. In middle school, I explicitly rejected religion, turning instead towards a misguided skepticism, which after a few years culminated in a miserable nihilism. My senior year of high school,I purchased a used copy of Atlas Shrugged after reading a scathing book review which branded Rand as "the most evil woman on earth." Naturally, I had to have the book. Beyond that, an intelligent acquaintance whom I respected greatly was an Objectivist, furthering sparking my interest. Unfortunately, the size of the text daunted me, and it collected dust for around a year.

When I left for college, I became good friends with that Objectivist, and he advised me not to begin my explorations of Objectivism with Atlas Shrugged, so I read The Fountainhead instead. Loving the novel's sense of life, I blazed through Rand's other works. Two years later, I've read all of her fiction, most of her nonfiction, and recently finished Peikoff's OPAR. Reading Rand allowed me to realize the stupidity of my many contradictory convictions, and her systematic destruction of my prior worldview served to enliven me rather than dishearten me. After lurking these forums for a little while, I figured it was time to talk with like-minded individuals and discuss the subtleties of Objectivism's application.

So obviously, I'm interested in philosophy. Right now, I'm even considering it as an academic career, so that I can perhaps sway the intellectual tides of the future. I'm also a writer--one with a painful perfectionist streak. I'm working on my first novel at the moment, and I have enough storylines stored in my mind to occupy me for decades. I enjoy music and have an eclectic taste. I play the guitar and love learning about music theory. Time permitting, I also pursue a few peripheral interests: physics, economics, psychology, and language.

I think that touches on all of the important points. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Edited by thewarrant

Hello and welcome. You write too? :) I know what you mean about having so many ideas for stories they could last you for ages. I hope you'll come to feel at home here and find lots of value in using the place more than just lurking.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I'll find a lot of value here. Maybe I'll even post some of my writing at some point.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I'll find a lot of value here. Maybe I'll even post some of my writing at some point.

What sort of genre is your writing, generally speaking? The writing I do is usually sci-fi oriented, though that is quite a broad category there... In any case, personally, I always love to see the fiction writing of anyone who is Objectivist-minded. Maybe check out the chat sometime as well. Oh, and welcome.

What sort of genre is your writing, generally speaking? The writing I do is usually sci-fi oriented, though that is quite a broad category there... In any case, personally, I always love to see the fiction writing of anyone who is Objectivist-minded. Maybe check out the chat sometime as well. Oh, and welcome.

Right now I'm working on a dystopian fantasy, but I don't plan on limiting myself genre-wise. Fantasy would probably be most comfortable, but I also have plans to write a sci-fi novel and a modern thriller.

Do you have any work posted here? I'd like to read some sometime.

Right now I'm working on a dystopian fantasy, but I don't plan on limiting myself genre-wise. Fantasy would probably be most comfortable, but I also have plans to write a sci-fi novel and a modern thriller.

I love anything dystopian, adding fantasy to that sounds interesting. I don't have anything posted here, but I can PM you stuff I've done.