Objectivism Online Forum

Hi

Rate this topic

I'm a technician at an auto parts manufacturer. Believe it or not I really first looked into Ayn Rand because of the video game Bioshock, which the designers supposedly based upon her. The game's style is fantastic and I thought it would be interesting to learn about this woman. Who knew that her philosophy would click with me so well?

I'm still early in my reading and learning about objectivism. I've been following Leonard Peikoff's podcast, reading or listening to the free articles from The Objective Standard, I'm about 3/4's of the way through Atlas Shrugged and in my spare time I have been trying to nibble on OPAR. I also have watched her interviews that you can find on You Tube and enjoyed them immensely. In today's world where so many politicians and those in the media pander, kiss-up, capitulate and qualify with everything they say, her self-assured bluntness is a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Brian

I'm a technician at an auto parts manufacturer. Believe it or not I really first looked into Ayn Rand because of the video game Bioshock, which the designers supposedly based upon her. The game's style is fantastic and I thought it would be interesting to learn about this woman. Who knew that her philosophy would click with me so well?

And this shows that even inaccurate or partial portrayals of Objectivism in popular culture can spark curiosity in the active-minded. (And Bioshock is a really well-done game.)

I also have watched her interviews that you can find on You Tube and enjoyed them immensely. In today's world where so many politicians and those in the media pander, kiss-up, capitulate and qualify with everything they say, her self-assured bluntness is a breath of fresh air.

You might also want to check out the ARI Website. They've got a massive multimedia library there. One of the things that distinguishes Objectivists from so many other cultural commentators is that they have something to say and want it to be clearly understood -- and it is refreshing, and it's also sad that it's refreshing.

Welcome!

I love the YouTube videos of Rand interviews. As great as her books are there is something very special about the way she interacts with interviewers that really gets the ideas across.

As you are new to Objectivism you may find this useful from time to time: http://aynrandlexicon.com/ to clarify some points as you read.

Welcome to the forum and I hope that like myself when I was new to Objectivism, that you find this forum a great resource :D.

Some of the members here disagree with the advice I am going to give you here, but oh well : Try and get hold of Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology (Expanded Second Edition if you can ) before you get too far in OPAR. It really helps most people have an easier time getting the most out of OPAR from the start ( most people I have talked to about this anyway). It is not essential, but it does seem to help generally. For what it is worth, you may want to consider that this is the reading order Peikoff himself suggests in OPAR as I recall...

Edited by Prometheus98876