Objectivism Online Forum

Music Companies

Rate this topic

So I am a big fan of the idea of downloading music of the internet but, I like other have decided I must do it the "legal" way. I hope online and am browsing through sites trying to find a service I like. I came across the Napster site. We all now napster from their exploits in the news about the artists suing them or something to that effect.

Well I am looking at their site and, this is what get's me... They want you to pay them 9.95 dollars a month for unlimited downloading. But, the catch is for that price you can download the song to listen to at your leisure and just as soon as you want to put that song on a CD it wont let you. Can you put it on another computer? NO. They lock the song on your specified hard drive.

Now if you want to burn a song to a CD or share it to another computer it costs you an additional 99 cents per song. Thus meaning you can spend upward of 20 dollars on the music for a CD not including the price for the CD itself.

In short if anyone has a good program to use for downloading let me know. I would prefer not to spend more that 5-10 dollars a month.

In short if anyone has a good program to use for downloading let me know. I would prefer not to spend more that 5-10 dollars a month.

You are asking 2 separate questions. One, what sites are good places to legally download music; and two, what software is good for managing and playing the music you download. Am I correct?

I have a membership in e-music (www.emusic.com), and I also use the Apple iTunes store for my iPod.

E-music gives me 65 tracks a month for $14.99 and I can buy more downloads if I want them. Most of the music is a bit older, so you won't find newer popular music, but there is a lot of good jazz and classical music available.

The iTunes store has a wider selection. I think you can download the software and use it even if you don't have an iPod, but I'd check around to be sure before spending the money. One the song is downloaded it's registered to one computer, but you can register it on up to 5 PC's for no additional charge. Individual tracks are $0.99 each. Albums are usually $9.99, but can be more or less depending on the number of tracks. One drawback is that the songs are in an Apple-specific format so you need to use iTunes to play them.

If you have music already downloaded, WinAmp and MusicMatch are pretty good players. They are free, although MusicMatch will nag you to pay for the upgraded version.

Did this help?

My favorite is MusicNow.com. No subscription is required, but you do need to use their free software. It's .99 per song. They use the WMA format.

I also visit RealPlayer's music store from time to time. Again, using their free browser, it's .99 per song. They use the RealPlayer format.

Both those services permit 10 CD burns per track, and you own the song once you buy it, so it stays on your computer permanently. Both have similar libraries, which are pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

Avoid BuyMusic.com. I had a lot of problems with their files, and their customer service was horrible for me.

I found eMusic's selection to be rather limited compared to the other services, but I'm sure it's grown since I last looked at it.

I'm not familiar with Itunes or Napster, since I've gotten everything I've wanted from the others without having to pay a subscription fee.

For audiobooks, I subscribe to Audible.com, and I recommend that service, too.

Well I have heard about iTunes, and they have been known to add spyware to your caomputer. I heard about this program morpheous though and it is suppose to be free but completely leagle. Anyone else out there use it or know anything about it?

Well I have heard about iTunes, and they have been known to add spyware to your caomputer.  I heard about this program morpheous though and it is suppose to be free but completely leagle. Anyone else out there use it or know anything about it?

Morpheus is legal but it also adds spyware. It is basically another version of Kazaa so while it may be legal you are still not legitamitely getting the music. That being said, I get mine from Kazaa Lite, :D no spyware, and all free.

Well I have heard about iTunes, and they have been known to add spyware to your caomputer.  I heard about this program morpheous though and it is suppose to be free but completely leagle. Anyone else out there use it or know anything about it?

iTunes does not install spyware. I did a quick google search and found this as a major source of the claim:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthrea...&threadid=14706

The guy in that thread does not know what he is talking about. For the record, I am running iTunes on Windows and have purchased a few songs from them. I highly recommend iTunes Music Store. iTunes could be a better music player (I think winamp is the best), but it's pretty good.

I second all the iTunes suggestions. I use it on my Mac and Windows machine and couldn't be happier. The music store has a great selection and is very easy to use.

Since you seem concerned about having the use of your songs limited, I'll warn you that when you purchase a track it can only be played on a maximum of 5 computers (of course I feel this limit is reasonable and won't be reached).

• 3 months later...