Objectivism Online Forum

I Am Kane

Rate this topic

"I am Kane [sic]. I can help." (Kung-Fu, the series)

Alright. The quote is just a poor attempt at humour. And I also realise that David Carradine took on the wrong spelling of such an excellent name as Kane, taking on instead the Hebrew variant 'Caine'.

In any case, I'm most likely off to a poor start being so given to rambling right away. So I'll attempt to tell you a little about myself in as much of a non-rambling fashion as possible.

First, I don't know if I can help. I am actually rather nervous to participate here because I'm only just learning Objectivism, and can see already from my "learning lurking" that there are a brace of highly intelligent people here who really know their stuff. In a sense that is a comfort because it means that I can ask questions (and rely on the Search feature) to mine well thought-out answers. However, because I am coming from a position of a newly deconverted Christian (20 years of practice, and 2 years of ministry), I can honestly say that I am out of my depth despite being quite eager to learn. And that makes me slightly nervous.

Second, my brain is a tad disordered. I'm severely ADD and a bit of a pain-in-the-ass to people of more efficient minds; being of the Jungian archetype INTP, I tend to explore positions I may not actually be committed to, even though I may speak/write with authority on the subject. Nevertheless, I don't mind people reigning me in from the ether of abstract cerebral gallavanting, so feel free (bit of an odd thing to say to Objectivists, "feel free"!).

Third, I'm presently making my way through Ayn Rand's fiction, and enjoying them immensely. Previous to Rand, some of my favourite authors were Russians (Dostoevsky, Solzhenitsyn, Turgenev), so I had already developed a healthy appreciation for the force and majesty of their literature. Rand has been no exception. I have finished Anthem, and am currently about half-way through We The Living. I must say, and without reservation, that they are exceptionally brilliant novels, and I can see her philosophy borne-out in wonderfully poetic ways. I look forward to reading her two masterpieces The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and then embarking on her more technical works Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology and The Virtue of Selfishness.

I'm sure I'll have questions as I go, so please be patient with me, and I'll try not to be too redundant with my queries.

Cheers!

Edited by Kane

Hahaha, at first I actually thought somebody else here who has been a member for quite a while was only just now for some reason bothering to make an introduction post, because they have the same name as you and I didn't expect there to be two people here by that name.

Welcome. :) How long has it been since you came across Rand's works? I'm curious to figure out just how new this stuff is to you and get an idea how much you have heard about already. Also, watch out! This place is full of spoilers for The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Aside from that though, I wouldn't worry about posting here. :P We're generally quite understanding about new people and how they may have lots of questions and such, so people here are usually pretty patient in such cases as long as you remain polite and show you are still trying to learn and understand.

Hahaha, at first I actually thought somebody else here who has been a member for quite a while was only just now for some reason bothering to make an introduction post, because they have the same name as you and I didn't expect there to be two people here by that name.

Welcome. :) How long has it been since you came across Rand's works? I'm curious to figure out just how new this stuff is to you and get an idea how much you have heard about already. Also, watch out! This place is full of spoilers for The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Aside from that though, I wouldn't worry about posting here. :P We're generally quite understanding about new people and how they may have lots of questions and such, so people here are usually pretty patient in such cases as long as you remain polite and show you are still trying to learn and understand.

Bluecherry,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I will be sure to try and avoid spoilers for Rand's other novels. Thank you for the heads-up.

As to how long I've been aware of Rand's works, I'd say somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15 years. However, I have only started to give any attention to her writings and philosophic ideas in the past few months. So, as you can easily reason out, I'm quite new to Objectivism.

You're welcome. :) And alright. I'll count it as a few months then, because that's the relevant part to me as it tells me you probably haven't already heard even a lot of pretty basic stuff in the philosophy or even come across a lot of good resources around for it yet. That impacts what sorts of things I would consider recommending when you may have questions.

I must say, and without reservation, that they are exceptionally brilliant novels, and I can see her philosophy borne-out in wonderfully poetic ways.

How can you say that?

Don't you know that her books are preachy, her characters are Nietzschean supermen, and she wrote just to express her pseudo-philosophy? All the experts know that!

:P

How can you say that?

Don't you know that her books are preachy, her characters are Nietzschean supermen, and she wrote just to express her pseudo-philosophy? All the experts know that!

:P

Haha! Yes, yes. I'm sorely mistaken. You are right. I should've seen her sermonizing as an insincere platform for her false perceptions on the world.

Thank you for your corrective. :P