Objectivism Online Forum

How many times have you read Atlas Shrugged?

Rate this topic

James Bond

On 3/19/2022 at 6:32 AM, Boydstun said:

Welcome to Objectivism Online, Pidge.

Which did you read first, The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged?

In the three times you read Atlas, can you recall any of how it was a different experience for you in the different readings? 

What were the years in which you first read these two novels? 

Here is a picture of me in college in the late 1960's, which was the era I first read Rand, together with photo of Rand in the early 1950's:

S:R.jpg

Ah, so I answered the first one above, saw that one before this one. I read Atlas Shrugged for the first time in high school after the Fountainhead as I was a bit of an avid reader. That wasn't too long ago, mid-2010s. It changed for me in that the first time around, I was afraid for Dagny and seeing things from her perspective, similar to dream_weaver. The second time was more omniscent; I was especially caught in the details and understood more of the ideas. I didn't really follow one character, but more the relationships and locations I'd missed the first time around. By the third time, I had favorite sections I'd skip forward and backward to and reread from that point on. The third time more than the first, I really felt for Francisco, but appreciated the way he was willing to step back for the good of his friends and himself. It was unlike any other fictional relationship I'd seen, and it felt right that while it was difficult, their respect for one another would remain.

Basically, I read The Fountainhead several times sophomore/junior year, and Atlas Shrugged for the first time junior or senior year after I grew to like her writings. It wasn't something that came naturally for me, as I didn't understand what was going on at first and the writing style was different than what I was used to. But I came to enjoy that difference and follow and appreciate her ideas, leading me to search for other works by Rand.

• 1 year later...

Just once! Would love to work my way through The Fountainhead. Wanted a refresher on the philosophical works first, including the collections of periodicals, which I recently acquired.