Greatest Movie You Have Ever Seen

Rate this topic

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shawshank Redemption.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/

The philosophy this movie captures is essentially: "Get busy living or get busy dying." Act long-range and with a rational sense of purpose. Discover the supreme morality and practicality of integrity and values. Individualism vs collectivism. It is the best movie ever made.

I also like the movie classic "The Sound of Music", because of its rational sense of life. "You can't run away from problems, you have to face them." Finding your real values, not just conforming to social pressures. Individualism vs collectivism. Rationality and exploration of reality. Etcetera. A great movie.

Great question!

My two all-time favorites are Star Wars and Casablanca. Both are prime examples of movie artistry and mean a great deal personally.

Kill Bill is up there, too. Of the two parts, I'd give the edge to vol.1, solely for sheer originality. After seeing vol.1, I was counting the days till vol.2 came out. I haven't anticipated a movie so much in a very long time.

My favorite acting performance is Jose Ferrer in Cyrano de Bergerac (the 1950 version). I get choked up every time I watch the final scene. It's also my very favorite play, by far. To be fair, as a movie, it is more like a filmed play than a purely cinematic work of art. So I don't think I can objectively place the movie as a whole on the same level as the others.

Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back--- The best Star Wars movie of ALL, Its much darker than the first, and you really feel the empire clamping down on the Rebel Freedom Fighters....

Gladiator --- Its not a perfect movie,but its still kicks butt

Ben Hur --- if you ignore all the Christianity, it rocks.

Patton --- FANTASTIC movie, the opening speech is my favorite movie seen ever, i wish we had leaders like him today that woald go up and talk like him about the war on terror with all the moral certainty in the world.

The Shawshank Redemption.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly--- I LOVE THIS MOVIE, one of the best westerns ever made. Everything always seems to fall into place for the man with no name.

....ill have to think of more.

If you have seen "The Shawshank Redemption", then please tell me why that movie is not on your list.

I have seen it, and it would definitely make a top 100 list, but the reason it is not in my top 10 is because I dislike the ending and I don't think it's overall theme is as grand as it could be. I don't see the Shawshank Redemption all that differently from Clint Eastwood's Escape from Alcatraz.

1. Life is Beautiful (La Vita e Bella)

2. Ridicule (French movie)

3. Gladiator

4. Lord of the Rings (as a whole)

5. The Matrix (only the first)

6. The Princess Bride

7. Pirates of the Caribbean

8. Kill Bill (1 & 2 together)

9. Goodbye, Lenin

10. Amadeus

Those are the top 10 I can think of right now. There are definitely others who compete for top 10, like Chaplin's The Great Dictator, Shawshank Redemption, Minority Report, U-571, Casablanca, and many, many more...

Why Ben-Hur. Isn't that a Christian movie.

I must mention that I haven't seen it.

Yes, Christian, but not completly Christian. Its mostly stay in the background untill the end,but its a GREAT MOVIE.

Its about a Hebrew Prince(Ben-Her) who is friends with a roman soldier(Messala) but he gets accused of trying to asssinate the new Governer by his friend and is put in jail and turned to a slave rower in a Roman Battleship, theres A LOT MORE to the story, but youll have to watch it.......GREAT MOVIE

I don't know if y'all have ever seen Hoosiers (Gene Hackman, slightly young), but it makes my top ten. It's usually widely discussed as the best sports movie, and I saw it for the first time a week or so ago. Blew me away. Great directing and maybe the best sports plot ever. It's not just an underdog story, it really tries hard to depict man at his best.

1. Star Wars Trilogy

2. Ben Hur

3. The Big Country

4. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

5. The Matrix (first one only)

6. Princess Mononoke

7. A Bridge Too Far (go Sean Connery!)

8. The Rock (see above)

9. The Fifth Element

10. Shall We Dance (original Japanese version)

11. Ghost in the Shell (first movie)

If I had to watch 11 movies over and over these are what I’d choose :(

I don't know if y'all have ever seen Hoosiers (Gene Hackman, slightly young), but it makes my top ten.  It's usually widely discussed as the best sports movie, and I saw it for the first time a week or so ago.  Blew me away.

I liked Hoosiers, but my all-time favorite sports movie is "Remember the Titans." It's theme is teamwork AND individualism. There are no villains -- just heroes -- each working toward a common goal for his own personal, selfish reasons in his own unique way.