Objectivism Online Forum

UK Proposes All Paychecks Go to the State First

Rate this topic

"The UK's tax collection agency is putting forth a proposal that all employers send employee paychecks to the government, after which the government would deduct what it deems as the appropriate tax and pay the employees by bank transfer.

The proposal by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) stresses the need for employers to provide real-time information to the government so that it can monitor all payments and make a better assessment of whether the correct tax is being paid."

Read more: http://www.cnbc.com/id/39265847

That's absolutely disgusting. It is saying in some of the most clear terms in decades that you and your product are the property of the state. The "technical difficulties" mentioned in the article are dancing around that fact while helping to legitimise it.

If this is put in place, GET THE HELL OUT OF THE UK. I'm glad my parents emigrated in 1979, and I will never move back.

JJM

Coming soon to the USA...

Paul Krugman is certainly doing everything in his power to make that happen. From his article Sept. 19, "The Angry Rich" are "the world’s luckiest people," who are "wallowing in self-pity and self-righteousness" and "have a belligerent sense of entitlement has taken hold: it’s their money, and they have the right to keep it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/opinion/20krugman.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

And don't check out the comments if you've eaten recently.

Edited by 2046