Objectivism Online Forum

Wall Street 2 Money Never Sleeps

Rate this topic

James Bond

No spoilers. I went to see this moving partly because, to my knowledge, there was nothing better playing, and partly because I somewhat enjoyed the first one. I would not recommend it. It wasn't particularly bad, but it wasn't particularly good. There were a lot of poorly constructed elements I couldn't let slide. It's an Oliver Stone movie, so I was curious to see if there were any leftist implications. There weren't many. At one point the young protagonist asks a rich banker (who is the enemy, of course): "What's your number? How much money do you need before you can retire?" The banker replies, as the camera dramatically zooms into his face "More." I think we the viewers were supposed to be disgusted by this statement, but my reaction was one more of approval. As the blog Voices for Reason put it..making money is like walking. Wanting progressively more values in your life is a part of being alive and ambition really is more moral than compassion. Ambition is a primary virtue, and charity is a secondary virtue. The only other part I'll mention is at the end, where it is intimated that people of greed are like bubbles that pop, and when they do there is more room for other people. Great. Thanks but no thanks Mr. Stone.

Edited by James Bond