Objectivism Online Forum

Esthetics: Who Needs It

Rate this topic

Tomer Ravid

LAST DAYS I was reading the brief Objectivist theory of esthetics in OPAR, which seems to be the most progressive philosophical field of it (which I however have to discuss and improve as required to fully grasp its great consequences). (By the way, it consists some official answers to all the Randish romanticism's naturalist regarders as childish or unreal!)

After finishing the first part, I listened to Rachamaninov's (wonderful) quite dramatic second piano concerto, and then to Still Life by Van Der Graaf Generator. Twas the first time I actually got this album fully (i.e. the horrible second), in effect the most exciting one. The following is a beautiful modern jazz observation, talking to you with Hammil's incredible voice about how mindless man is and what a monster he becomes without the social support. Since of that I have never willfully heard any rock album. The passion, to VDGG at least, has simply been gone.

And then I'm thinking to myself: "FUCK ME, Rand was right again", and about how many for then unknown mistakes I've done in evaluation throughout my life (and how longer shall that take till I can perfectly write my own, only by thought). That music really was about a bad philosophy.

I thought about stop listening to progressive rock music, until or unless I can write my own philosophically and esthetically valid. Although I do not yet remove my avatar and profile picture (which I'm quite pleased with – I think that Anglagard is dramatic but no mystical, and I know that Kurt Rongey's music's 'bad end' is about the nature of dictatorship, not about the nature of man) and I know I'm gonna miss that stuff I know much before I do philosophy, that genre combinates too much about reason and mystics (and we know about a compromise between good and evil)…

. . .

This (not-selective nor artistic – this is reality as it is!) story's publicity's main point is sort of a recommendation to take seriously and deeply esthetics' philosophy (as I know that many Oists are to ignore it), its motto: you can hardly understand philosophy without art.

It is supposed to be a general thread about you, your philosophy and your (approaches according to) art.

T.R.

Edited by Tomer Ravid