Objectivism Online Forum

The Moral Equivalent Of 9/11

Rate this topic

Two things Bush needs to do right away, and both involve some serious house-cleaning.  The needs to clean out Foggy Bottom and the CIA, both entities which have activily worked against him.

Powell definitely needs to go.  I never jumped on his particular bandwagon.  I didn't like him when he worked for Bush Sr. and, while I understood W's "need" of him when he was running the first time, I've always thought he was a huge mistake.  It was Powell who convinced President Bush to waltz with the UN over Iraq.

I would agree. Powell is an apologist. While we are at it, get his son away from the FCC.

You have got to be kidding.  Right?  Saddam Hussein was indeed elected---by a 100% vote.  Does that suggest anything to you, Mr. Yes?  Like if you don't vote for Saddam, you're a dead voter?  And of course this was only after his initial rise to power, which was through the murder and assassination route.

Try again in your version of history and fact.

My point is this- that elections take place even in totalitarian states.

Too bad you missed that point.

I do agree with your other observations of Saddam, however.

It was Powell who convinced President Bush to waltz with the UN over Iraq.

True, however.....

Why is it you think that Iraq isn't an international threat?

I think that Bush's attempts to conjure up international support against Iraq were actually valid. Why? Because Saddam Hussein demonstrated before that his regime posed an everlasting threat to international security and international free trade. He demonstrated this by his illicit forceful invasion of Kuwait back in 1990. It was clear what his ulterior motive was- to control the important Persian Gulf shipping routes.

Iraq's non- cooperation with weapons inspectors only exacerbated this scenario. The world was left to guess whether or not this madman still had a weapons program capable of wreaking further havoc in the Middle East.