Objectivism Online Forum

Secret Koch Letter

Rate this topic

Amaroq

So I found out about this just recently. Apparently some rich guys are having secret meetings where they discuss how to fight for economic freedom. The letter got leaked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us/politics/20koch.html

All the media seems to be bashing it. Even that NY Times article can't seem to be neutral and informative about it without sounding like there's something wrong with it. But I think it sounds like something I could get behind.

Here's the letter itself.

http://images2.americanprogressaction.org/ThinkProgress/secretkochmeeting.pdf

I haven't read through it fully yet, but so far I like what I see. Go rich guys go! Fight to save America.

Wow. Apparently the NYT is not cool with private organizational meetings for public policy groups. Bit of an odd stance.

Also, I think this label of those involved by the author of the article says it all: "free-market evangelists." Read: those free-market nutters are trying to indoctrinate Americans with their anti-government nonsense.

It is concerning to me that The New York Times deliberately misquoted the letter:

Page one paragraph 7 states:

“threaten to erode our economic freedom and transfer vast sums of power to the state.”

The New York Times misrepresents it as

"Mr. Koch warns of policies that “threaten to erode our economic freedom and transfer vast sums of money to the state.”

It cannot escape this partisan rag what the difference is between these two words, nor do I believe that they did this in innocence.

Just from some quick skimming; it looks like Glenn Beck is a speaker. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

I'm not sure why that should be. I can't stand his work myself.

But he is wealthy, influential, obviously intelligent and talented.

He's a persona, that can become easy to forget with public personalities- on the right and the left.

If the guest list was made up mostly of such I'd be more concerned but as it stands if I were invited to such a thing (don't ever EVAR see that happening :lol: ) I'd just make sure to enjoy my cocktail on the opposite side of the room from him.

I just read an article in The New Yorker about the Koch brothers. The article is a thorough smear piece which portrays them as stealth saboteurs of the political establishment whose goal is to spread pro-capitalist propoganda and circumvent environemental laws to sell chemicals at a profit. In short, it demonizes them for things that should be considered virtuous. They must be outstanding men.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/08/30/100830fa_fact_mayer

Edited by BRG253