Objectivism Online Forum

New...New Star Wars...New Star Wars Movie

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

If only crazy, old George were to hire Timothy Zahn to write the movie....

Seconded! His Star Wars books were some of the only decent ones I recall reading. And by the standards of SW - pretty good actually.

Lets see how many things he recycles from the previous films. Er, how many "parallels" between the new and old stuff he creates, to use his term for "recycling" :P

Assuming this is not just some wild rumour anyway.

Edited by Prometheus98876

Seconded! His Star Wars books were some of the only decent ones I recall reading. And by the standards of SW - pretty good actually.

He's done two things that stand out in the SW universe:

1) He had a villain, Thrawn, with a working brain and

2) He showed how the Jedi alienated the populace in "Outbound Flight."

He's done two things that stand out in the SW universe:

1) He had a villain, Thrawn, with a working brain and

2) He showed how the Jedi alienated the populace in "Outbound Flight."

See, this is part of why I recall enjoying his SW books, largely because Thrawn was a smart bastard whom was pretty tough to put a stop to. Though I dont recall the second point you raise (guess it has been a while since I read this stuff), that would be something else of quite some value.

You know, I am inclined to believe that perhaps Lucas is not lying and that he does not currently plan to release anything. But would I put it past him to weasel around that later if his current projects do well enough? Not at all.

Though I dont recall the second point you raise (guess it has been a while since I read this stuff), that would be something else of quite some value.

You may recall in the Thrawn trilogy there are numerous mentions of the Outbound Flight Project, mostly concerning the mad Jedi C'baoth, whom Thrawn enlists on his side.

Last year Zahn did a novel about the Outbound Flight, set int he time of the movie prequels. We get to see Thrawn when he fought in his peoples' armed forces, before he joined the Empire.

Anyway, the Jedi in the book treat the common people very badly. not all of them and not all the time, but enough so you can understand if there was wide-spread antipathy towards the Jedi at the time.

That's something Lucas completely missed. I mean, the newly self-proclaimed emperor states the Jedi rebelled against the Republic, and no one raises even a doubt about it?

Of course the whole third prequel was horribly rushed and bypassed the plot to get to an even worse ending.

You know, I am inclined to believe that perhaps Lucas is not lying and that he does not currently plan to release anything. But would I put it past him to weasel around that later if his current projects do well enough? Not at all.

I hope he isn't. I'm not about to say the prequels were worse than "Howard The Duck," but I am tempted (I guess I did :P )

• 2 weeks later...