Objectivism Online Forum

Yasser Arafat Is Dead

Rate this topic

A very interesting article in the Jerusalem Post opened my eyes as to the circumstances of Arafat's mysterious illness, which had aparently killed him just moments ago.

Some key facts:

- The French doctors treating him in Paris do not recognize the cause of his illness.

- The symptoms began just shortly before the U.S. elections.

- Sharon had a tacit agreement with Bush that Arafat "had to go". He would not have the same agreement with Kerry.

Quoting from the article:

On April 14, 2004, as revealed by Sharon himself, he

informed President George W. Bush that he no longer regarded himself

held by his promise to Bush in their first meeting in March 2001 not

to harm Arafat. President Bush replied that it would perhaps be best

to leave Arafat's fate in the hands of the Almighty. Sharon said that

one should sometimes help Him.

Read it all here >>>

A very interesting article in the Jerusalem Post opened my eyes as to the circumstances of Arafat's mysterious illness, which had aparently killed him just moments ago.

Some key facts:

- The French doctors treating him in Paris do not recognize the cause of his illness.

- The symptoms began just shortly before the U.S. elections.

- Sharon had a tacit agreement with Bush that Arafat "had to go". He would not have the same agreement with Kerry.

Read it all here >>>

The hospital is denying that Arafat is dead.

CNN Report

Read it all here >>>

I wonder if he's done self reflection upon his life. IMO he looked as though he's had dementia - for quite a while, so I'm not sure if he were capable.

I wonder if he was afraid to die.

I wonder if it would have happened, if it did, if Kerry won the election. It would have been postponed for some years in order to convince Kerry. If the Goombata could do it to Kennedy, then this does not surprise me. Perhaps it was France's retribution for not supporting the US initially. Justice. Of course, take care of Arafat, and then there's some space to worry about Iran and the rest of them.

Speculation, speculation, speculation.

Americo.

They should euthanize Arafat like the sick animal that he is.

Nah, they should wheel his hospital bed out onto the sidewalk and then sell "Watch Arafar Die" tickets. I'd pay money to watch the SOB shuffle off the mortal coil.

Better yet, put a camera in the hospital room and put the feed on pay-per-view.

It is almost 2 a.m. in Toronto, Friday, and CNN is playing in the background. Suddenly, I consider the value of news media for those who are pleased with the imminent death of Arafat. For those who want to see him suffer, CNN has provided us with facts as a basis for using our imagination. I have just heard that his suffering is such that he cannot speak nor recognize any one around him. That might be appropriate if we knew who were those around him watching him. However, regardless, he is suffering. Because imagine how it would be for you to be in such a wretched condition where one's eyes cannot distinguish the world, and one's soul cannot be expressed because one's tongue will not speak. I have not heard of the physical pain that he must be feeling, but it must not feel good to experience one's body failing. Perhaps there is a numbness but that numbness might just be terrifying. "What did I do to deserve this?" he might be asking. "I will soon see god ... but what if he will not take me?" "And what if the devil won't either!"

Americo.

Interesting comment in USNWR about why Arafat had to go to Paris for treatment:

"West Bank hospitals, starved for funds by the massive corruption of his regime, aren't equipped to treat his ailment, reportedly a life-threatening blood disease." (Nov 8, p. 42)

It would be especially fitting if he died partially due to his own corruption.

Yes, Bush actually said "God bless his soul".  :D

True, he did, but I was rather pleased by his response. It certainly didn't make me shout with joy, but on the other hand consider that nearly anyone else would have taken the time to call him a humanitarian or praise his "peace efforts." Bush, in contrast, said little more than "God bless his soul," which I think was just a tactful way to say "Good riddance." Damning with faint praise indeed.

HA! That murdering bastard better have prayed that there's a god to "bless his soul," because I sure as hell won't.

I have a feeling that Bush feels the same, for all his "good Christian virtue." Bush gave him one chance, remember? He entered into the fray in good faith, said he backed a state for the Palestinians, sent Powell himself to chat, etc. Then they found that munition's ship. That was all she wrote for W; he pulled the plug and Arafat has spent the last years of his life unable to leave his miserable little hole, and scared to death that they would come for him at any moment. I would have preferred that Bush had given the Israelis the green light to obliterate the Father of Terrorism, of course. He ought never to have been allowed to breathe another order for the murder of innocents. At least, to give credit where it is due, Bush never allowed Arafat to play him for a fool twice -- unlike everyone (<cough> Clinton <cough>) who went before, and the Euros have continued to do.

Eran: Is there (nervous) dancing in the streets there? In passing, I saw one Israeli on the news say something to the affect that burial on the Temple Mount wasn't for "murdering terrorists", or some such. I heard another weeping hand-wringer say, "But it is his last wish!", as though such a thing ought to be considered.

I'm usually the last person who would have anything to say about even an evil piece of flotsum dying, it is satisfaction enought to know that evil has died, but I've been outraged about Arafat ever since Reagan helped him return to power. Allowing the murder of our Marines in Lebanon, not only without being avenged, but by turning tail and running, was bad enough. When Reagan brought Arafat back from the brink, I knew that he was a lightweight. It was the first real indication to our enemies that Viet Nam wasn't a fluke and Iran was to be the model.

It was Clinton's treatment of Arafat -- and the very idea that he was sleeping in the White House -- that made me unable to even look at Clinton during his terms in office, much less listen to anything he had to say. I was thoroughly disgusted by the fact that we impeached Clinton over sex, but put up with-- and praised! -- his fraternization with a known mass murderer.

I know I'm ranting. It's the years of pent up frustration.

Edited by oldsalt

Eran:  Is there (nervous) dancing in the streets there?  In passing, I saw one Israeli on the news say something to the affect that burial on the Temple Mount wasn't for "murdering terrorists", or some such.  I heard another weeping hand-wringer say, "But it is his last wish!", as though such a thing ought to be considered.

Janet,

Well, I am actually no longer in Israel. I'm in New York.

But from what I can tell no-one is dancing back there.

They are happy, of course, that he's gone. And I think many in Israel would rather know it was not a natural death. But Israelis look further than the death of a single terrorist, important as he was.

I'm not at all sure that the next Palestinian leader will not be worse. Hamas is crushed, but not dead. If Sharon ordered the execution of Arafat, then I hope he did so as a part of a strategic plan that takes into account the possible successors. That could be indicated by his efforts against Hamas earlier this year.

The fact remains, that there are 3 million people living practically within Israel, who by and large support terrorism against innocent Israelis. I don't see that changing, or the terror ceasing, anytime soon.

Janet,

Well, I am actually no longer in Israel. I'm in New York.

But from what I can tell no-one is dancing back there.

They are happy, of course, that he's gone. And I think many in Israel would rather know it was not a natural death. But Israelis look further than the death of a single terrorist, important as he was.

I'm not at all sure that the next Palestinian leader will not be worse. Hamas is crushed, but not dead. If Sharon ordered the execution of Arafat, then I hope he did so as a part of a strategic plan that takes into account the possible successors. That could be indicated by his efforts against Hamas earlier this year.

The fact remains, that there are 3 million people living practically within Israel, who by and large support terrorism against innocent Israelis. I don't see that changing, or the terror ceasing, anytime soon.

First a belated WELCOME TO AMERICA! Last I read here, you were just visiting. Are you here to stay?

I know that, sadly, Israel has more than Arafat to worry about. The world is full of his spawn and a large number of them sit on Israel's doorstep. I can't imagine that the Israeli government hasn't thought about the situation, though. The future without Arafat is just the latest stage of a very long war.

Still and all, he's one more evil bastard down and out, and that's worth a moment's celebration. If we waited until it were finished once and for all, we'd live a somber, joyless existence. So, giving a salute to life!, I'll enjoy my moment's satisfaction in this one's demise, and state that I wish that Israel had the luxuary to do so as well.

As for the Nobel stuff:

Phooey!